Linked Servers - SQL Server Instances RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right sub-forum to ask the question on Linked Server.  If not, please let me know the correct SQL Server forum category.

My problem is related only to SQL Server databases.

Scenario:

Server1\Instance1 - SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition (Named Instance)

Server2\SQLEXPRESS - SQL Server 2005 Express  (Named Instance)

As these are Named Instances, they have a "\" in their Server Names.  Can I created a Link Servers from Server 1 to Server 2, in above scenario? 

Also, considering the following variations, are there any limitation with Linked Servers:

- Environment containing different versions of SQL Server - 2000, 2005, 2008 - link between lower to higher version and vice-versa

- Environment containing different Editions of SQL Servers - Express, Developer, Enterprise

- Environment containing Default Instances and Named Instances

Thanks & Regards,
    Kamlesh | Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    If you get your Question answered, please come back and mark the reply as an Answer, so others can find it.
    If you get helped by an Answer to someone else's question, please vote the Post as Helpful.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:31 AM

Answers

• 1. Can I create a linked server from Server 1 to Server 2?

Yes, named or default instances, 2000, 2005, or 2008. The provider will take care of this.

2. Are there any limitations with linked servers?

I'm sure there are when it comes to special functionality otherwise it acts as just another datasource. When designing how the linked servers are going to intereact, remember that all of the data is going to have to traverse the network. Security is also a great consideration.

3. Are there any limitations linking between different versions and editions?

Some things to consider would be new datatypes between 2008 and 2000, new T-SQL items such as MERGE that may or may not work correctly across versions, etc.

MSDN: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188279.aspx

Hope this helps,
    Sean

• Proposed as answer by Xiao-Min Tan – MSFT Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by KSDN Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:28 PM
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 2:36 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• 1. Can I create a linked server from Server 1 to Server 2?

Yes, named or default instances, 2000, 2005, or 2008. The provider will take care of this.

2. Are there any limitations with linked servers?

I'm sure there are when it comes to special functionality otherwise it acts as just another datasource. When designing how the linked servers are going to intereact, remember that all of the data is going to have to traverse the network. Security is also a great consideration.

3. Are there any limitations linking between different versions and editions?

Some things to consider would be new datatypes between 2008 and 2000, new T-SQL items such as MERGE that may or may not work correctly across versions, etc.

MSDN: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188279.aspx

Hope this helps,
    Sean

• Proposed as answer by Xiao-Min Tan – MSFT Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by KSDN Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:28 PM
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 2:36 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Sean

So the bottom-line is that there will be no issues for Connectivity, however we can foresee some issues with respect to the features of the New/Old Database Engine.

Thanks & Regards,
    Kamlesh | Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    If you get your Question answered, please come back and mark the reply as an Answer, so others can find it.
    If you get helped by an Answer to someone else's question, please vote the Post as Helpful.
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:28 PM