Find all refferences where refference is on a .aspx.cs code behind file or attached to a user interaction or view. ?? Is there an extension or way to do this? RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, so I started a internship for a web app company.  dream job.  Their system is pretty big and im pretty uch a newb as in took a intro programing course using Alice 2.0 and am 1/2 way though a 1st C# with windows forms class. <<<  all that is irrelevant sorry.

I would love the ability to click a method or object and say find all refferneces attached to a aspx file (or a file that is directly connected to web page.) this way as I go through and refactor and comment code (which is my first intern type task) I can easily see where method X is being called by the user interface.

So ideally the thing would crawl up the chain of references and populate a list of references that meet this criteria.   and display them similar to the way VS currently displays the find all references.   Anyone know if this exist?  if not does it make sense to have something like this?  and if so would this be a doable project for a NEWB or over my head?

Thanks in advance

Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:10 AM

All replies

• Hi DPCasSIL

I’m not very clear about your question. Are you looking for a way to find all reference from a given assembly? If so, you may try Dependency walker, http://www.dependencywalker.com/.

If I misunderstand you, could you explain your question a little bit more?

BTW, if you are just looking for an extension but not writing your own one, you may visit and search our VS gallery for extensions. http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/

Regards,

Yi     

Yi Feng Li [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, October 17, 2011 6:50 AM
  • Sorry.   Im not exactly sure how to say it.   I am trying to find the point or points in which a dependency is tied to a user interaction or view.

I.E.   I have some code, that is referenced in several files but only 1 of those is then tied directly to a web page.  The idea would be that I could find where the code I am looking at is being used in a giant web project so that I can go to it and see and test my changes.  without digging for it.

Monday, October 17, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Hello,

So you are looking for an extension about find the where you code is used in a project? If so, you can use search to achieve your task.

If you want write your own extension to automate search, please check  How to: Automate Text Search and Replace (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/44de0117.aspx)

Regards,

Yi

Yi Feng Li [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:01 AM
  • Hi

I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side.  Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions? 

Yi

Yi Feng Li [MSFT]

Friday, October 21, 2011 9:58 AM