Workflow tracking RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a question regarding workflow tracking.  When a workflow tracking service is loaded, will it track already-instantiated workflows? I have created a couple of custom tracking services, and they appear not to be invoked unless they were in place at the time the workflow was instantiated.

For example, I've created a file-based tracking service and a console-based tracking service.  If the console tracking service is in place when workflow A is instantiated, then the console tracking service gets invoked when a workflow event occurs on workflow A.  If the runtime restarts with console tracking service in place, workflow A's events are tracked in the console tracking service.  However, if the runtime restarts and the file tracking service is loaded (console tracking not loaded), then no tracking service is ever invoked for workflow A.

Is this by design, or am I perhaps missing something?  I haven't been able to find anything discussing this specific scenario.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

DubsG
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 6:43 PM

Answers

•  

This is by design. The workflow runs as a strongly typed object. The type of tracking service it uses is, by design, considered as part of the type of the workflow instance. So when you rehydrate a workflow instance that was tracked previously by a console tracking service, the workflow runtime will check if there is any tracking service that is the same type as the console tracking service. If it does not find any, that workflow instance will not be tracked.

Friday, January 9, 2009 12:11 AM

All replies

•  

This is by design. The workflow runs as a strongly typed object. The type of tracking service it uses is, by design, considered as part of the type of the workflow instance. So when you rehydrate a workflow instance that was tracked previously by a console tracking service, the workflow runtime will check if there is any tracking service that is the same type as the console tracking service. If it does not find any, that workflow instance will not be tracked.

Friday, January 9, 2009 12:11 AM
  • Thank you for the explanation.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 9:06 PM