How do I just submit an Infopath 2010 form to a list not a document library? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an infopath 2010 form I uploaded into a document library. I want this doc library to hold many types of forms. 

When a user fills out a form  I want the details they enter in the form to be submitted to a list on another site and the form close after submitted.

I want a empty form when I open the form every time (don't want update). I do not want to save the form as a template it is only a vehicle to update the list. I only want the one instance? How do I do this?

I think its using the UpdateListItems web service and an XML template. However couldn't get this to work! 

Thanks.

John.    

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Ian,

I think I have the same issue as John Guilbert. I followed the steps (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/infopath/archive/2007/03/26/submitting-to-a-sharepoint-list.aspx) and it worked. However, I want more flexibility in my form. The result of the steps in that blog entry gives me Text Box fields for all fields. I think the uniformity in the kinds of fields is due to selecting it as a repeating table. is it possible not to use a repeating table? or is it possible to customize some of the fields to drop down menus in order to submit data to a sharepoint list? 

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Monday, July 16, 2012 5:25 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

Could you please try the updatelistitems again follow this blog? Base on my test, it is also works for SharePoint 2007 with InfoPath 2010.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/infopath/archive/2007/03/26/submitting-to-a-sharepoint-list.aspx

Close the form after list item submitted, please go to Submit Options > Click Advanced button > Make sure “Close the form” has been selected in After submit option.

After you got this to work, save the form template (.xsn file), preview the xsn file and save the preview form as xml file without typing any value in any fields. Then this xml form can be used to submit new item to lists, please just upload this xml form to your document library. You can keep the xsn form template in your local computer in case any changes on the form are needed in the future.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir Liu
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact
    tnmff@microsoft.com.

Emir Liu

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:32 AM
  • Hi Emir,

As you say this does work fine with "flat" textbox fields. Is there any way that instead of using a repeater I can just convert to fields. My problem is probably due to the fact that I use a People Picker for one of the fields and the input flat field just doesn't work. I also don't want my fields in a repeater from a layout perspective.

Also when I add the form as XML it keeps trying to fill it out in Infopath 2010 rather than the browser. It does have "open in the browser" set as default in document library.

Anyway to fix these issues.

Thanks.

John.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:20 AM
  • Hi John Guilbert,

Is there any way that instead of using a repeater I can just convert to fields?

If I'm understanding the question, you're asking if when following the steps in the blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/infopath/archive/2007/03/26/submitting-to-a-sharepoint-list.aspx) you can right click one of the fields (such as Title, FirstName, LastName, Email, or Phone) and choose Text Box (in Step 5.3) rather than right clicking MyContacts and choosing Repeating Table.  Yes.  You can do that.

When I add the form as XML it keeps try to fill it out in InfoPath 2010 rather than the browser.  It does have "open in the browser" set as default in document library.

You will need to make sure you have done the following as well:

1. Right click your form template and choose Design.

2. Pull down the File menu and choose Form Options.

3. Select Compatibility, use the Form type popup menu to select Web Browser Form, and then click OK.

4. Save and republish the form template to the library.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Ian Kavanagh
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, July 13, 2012 5:24 PM
  • Hi Ian,

I think I have the same issue as John Guilbert. I followed the steps (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/infopath/archive/2007/03/26/submitting-to-a-sharepoint-list.aspx) and it worked. However, I want more flexibility in my form. The result of the steps in that blog entry gives me Text Box fields for all fields. I think the uniformity in the kinds of fields is due to selecting it as a repeating table. is it possible not to use a repeating table? or is it possible to customize some of the fields to drop down menus in order to submit data to a sharepoint list? 

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Monday, July 16, 2012 5:25 PM
  • Didn't use this in the end. What I have done so far (and not totally convinced it will work yet is as follows)

Created two Form Libraries on two seperate sites. 

1. Site (HR): Annual Leave Form Library

2. Site (Intranet): EForms Form Library

Made sure they were both Content Type Enabled.

Just as a reminder one of these sites is going to hold all the EForms and when they are submitted by users they submit to the other site Form library.

I published the form (in this case an Annual Leave Form) to the Annual Leave Form Lib. I clicked on "add document" to open the form. I saved the form to the EForms Location. Now when you click on the Eforms location it opens in browser and submits for this specific form to the Annual Leave Form Lib.

Now all I have to hope is I can add additional EForms that point to other form libs. I'm sure this is OK.

Thanks.

john.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 11:08 AM