Powerpivot refresh from worksheet doesn't work RRS feed

• Question

• I have a PowerPivot table setup based of a SQL Server stored procedure. I am kind of surprise that when I click the Refresh button on the PivotTable Tools ribbon bar above the report the report does not refresh.  I have to open the PowerPivot window, click refresh and then go back to the worksheet with the PivotTable and click Refresh.  

Is that by design?  It seems like the Refresh on the worksheet just gets the existing data from the table.

Friday, December 4, 2015 10:41 PM

Answers

• Depends on the version of Excel. Originally this was the case, because Power Pivot is only an add-in. I believe this limitation only exists in 2010. Starting with Excel 2013, Power Pivot is included by default with standalone and Pro Plus or higher SKUs for Excel, and the refresh button within the pivot table ribbon should refresh your Power Pivot model as well.

I can confirm with Excel 2016 that refresh from the pivot table ribbon refreshes data from SQL Server sources.

GNet Group BI Consultant

• Proposed as answer by Darren GosbellMVP Saturday, December 5, 2015 7:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by MCort Saturday, December 5, 2015 9:59 PM
    Friday, December 4, 2015 10:51 PM

All replies

• Depends on the version of Excel. Originally this was the case, because Power Pivot is only an add-in. I believe this limitation only exists in 2010. Starting with Excel 2013, Power Pivot is included by default with standalone and Pro Plus or higher SKUs for Excel, and the refresh button within the pivot table ribbon should refresh your Power Pivot model as well.

I can confirm with Excel 2016 that refresh from the pivot table ribbon refreshes data from SQL Server sources.

GNet Group BI Consultant

• Proposed as answer by Darren GosbellMVP Saturday, December 5, 2015 7:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by MCort Saturday, December 5, 2015 9:59 PM
    Friday, December 4, 2015 10:51 PM

GNet Group BI Consultant

Okay. Thanks.  it is Excel 2010.
    Saturday, December 5, 2015 9:59 PM