none
VS2010 slows down as number of website projects increases

Question

• Hi,

I have been using VS 2010 Pro for building fairly simple and small website projects. On average each site are around 10 pages and each .aspx page is very small, around 2kb. Initial the performance was ok, but now the number of website listed within IIS has reached over 320. On IIS, I converted each site folder to ASP.NET v4.0 application and added 4 virtual directories before start building the site.

To give you an example of how slow my VS is, when I am on VS with 1 website project open, about 3 small code files open, the time taken to switch between the files are about 5~10 seconds. During the 5~10 second I can see the hear the sound of my HDD (500G 7200rpm) and HDD LED light flashing. I am pretty sure my HDD has no hardware issue at all. I don't know what its doing. Just a very simple switching between 2 files take such long time. I don't know what the HDD is reading/writing. Not to mention the speed of opening a file.

My computer: HP Z200 SFF Workstation, Win7 Pro 32 bit, 4GB RAM, Intel Core i5 760 @2.8GHz

Please Help. Thank you.

Thursday, November 19, 2015 3:39 AM

Answers

• Hi cs181,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

For this issue, to make sure whether it is related to the third party add-ins, please launch your visual studio in safe mode, please take the following steps:

Please open Windows Explorer, and navigate to  <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE (by default is C:\Program Files or Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE), and then run the following commands:

Devenv.exe /SafeMode, This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems. Thus ensuring stable execution.

If the above doesn't help, please check the following methods to improve the performance of visual studio:

(1) Disable your anti-virus or anti-spyware software.

(2) Tools > Options > Environment >

• Uncheck "Automatically adjust visual experience based on client performance"
    • then uncheck "Enable rich client visual experience".

Tools > Options > Environment > Startup:

• At startup = "Show empty environment"

Tools > Options > Source Control

• Set to "None"

(3) Tools > Options

• Environment > Add-in/Macros Security -- UNCHECK "Allow Add-in components to load"

Tools > Extension Manager

• Uninstall all you don't need.

(4) Install these patches

Best Regards,

Jiayi

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, November 20, 2015 5:53 AM