none
What is the best practice to automate the process of adding the updated references to a project. RRS feed

• Question

• What is the best practice to automate the process of adding the updated references to a project.
    I have 2 projects

1. Reference Project

2. Actual Project

We frequently change the Reference project and use it in our Actual Project. Both applications are separate. How can we automate this process that when ever we change the reference project , automatically the actual project will use the updated reference.

Need to use it for my devops design.

Please help me in finding the solution.
    Friday, December 2, 2016 2:03 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

Sorry for the late reply. I got it solved by installing the Package Mangement extension in my Team Service account. I used the Nuget Packager and Publisher to create and publish my reference artifacts. I could use the reference artifacts from any of my project builds through the Nuget feed.

Thanks

Saby

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 4:37 AM

All replies

• Hi SabyasachiSamaddar,

>>How can we automate this process that when ever we change the reference project , automatically the actual project will use the updated reference

I would suggest you use a Project Reference, or build the referenced project automatically and reference the output assembly. Never reference assemblies from another project's bin folder. And no, you don't need to update references.

Good practice is to reference libraries for external dependencies and projects for our "own" code.

Best regards,

Kristin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Kristin Xie Friday, December 9, 2016 1:07 AM
    Monday, December 5, 2016 1:56 AM
  • Hi SabyasachiSamaddar,

What's the problem now? Do you have any updates? If yes, please post here. If no, please remember to close this thread by marking helpful reply as an answer, thanks for your support and cooperation.

Best regards,

Kristin  

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 12, 2016 1:47 AM
  • Hi ,

Sorry for the late reply. I got it solved by installing the Package Mangement extension in my Team Service account. I used the Nuget Packager and Publisher to create and publish my reference artifacts. I could use the reference artifacts from any of my project builds through the Nuget feed.

Thanks

Saby

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 4:37 AM