Installer for the Developers Preview not working - CD/DVD driver missing

Question

• Hi

I was trying to install the dev preview of Win8 on a ViewSonic tablet (Vpad 10) using a bootable USB (I used the Windows 7 USB DVD Download tool, per instructions). Somewhere in the beginning, the installer says that there is a missing CD/DVD driver. I am not sure why it will ask for CD/DVD driver on a tablet, but browsing the installation USB did not help - it could not find the driver and quits the application. Anyone with a similar experience? I tried to install it from within Win7, bit it does not work - it says that there was some problem while determining if Win8 can be installed on my PC.

Thanks

Ivan

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:07 PM

Answers

• I had the same problem and fixed it searching forums as it is a common problem for any Windows version.

What I did:

1- At computer startup, entre your BIOS (F2 in my case) and set the computer to boot from the CD/DVD in the first place, the USB stick second and the HDD third. In my case, it was set to boot after the USB.

2- Just in case, I used another USB stick and burnt the image again.

And it worked.

Hope it helps.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:06 PM
    1. Download the ISO again
    2. Burn it to CD
    3. Try installing the OS again

Sometimes the ISO is corrupted during download.  Even reburning the DVD will not fix the issue unless it is downloaded again.

If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

[Blog] Engineering Efficiency | [Twitter] @Rich_Prescott | [Powershell GUI] Client System Administration tool
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:26 PM

All replies

1. Download the ISO again
    2. Burn it to CD
    3. Try installing the OS again

Sometimes the ISO is corrupted during download.  Even reburning the DVD will not fix the issue unless it is downloaded again.

If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

[Blog] Engineering Efficiency | [Twitter] @Rich_Prescott | [Powershell GUI] Client System Administration tool
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:26 PM
  • This is quite frustrating when tried to install Windows 8 from USB-stick. Always get error CD/DVD Driver missing. Downloaded ISO again and  no go.

Tested both version 32 and 64 with no luck. Created bootable USB-stick with Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool and also via commandline. 

Sunday, September 18, 2011 2:36 PM
  • I had the same problem and fixed it searching forums as it is a common problem for any Windows version.

What I did:

1- At computer startup, entre your BIOS (F2 in my case) and set the computer to boot from the CD/DVD in the first place, the USB stick second and the HDD third. In my case, it was set to boot after the USB.

2- Just in case, I used another USB stick and burnt the image again.

And it worked.

Hope it helps.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:06 PM
  • Dude you are my hero :) Thank you!
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:50 PM
  • Dude you are my hero :) Thank you!
    Did it work?
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 4:04 PM