"'System.Web.DynamicData.FieldTemplateUserControl.Mode' is not supported by the language" and other errors on new Dynamic Data project RRS feed

• Question

• User1181511755 posted

Hi all,

I'm just getting started with Dynamic Data and have pretty much fallen at the first hurdle - I can't get an empty project to compile.  I've created a brand new solution and project in VS2008 SP1, and without touching any of its files, tried to build it, and I get these errors:

c:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.5\System.Web.DynamicData.dll: warning CS1684: Reference to type 'System.Web.UI.IBindableControl' claims it is defined in 'c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Web.dll', but it could not be found
    c:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.5\System.Web.DynamicData.dll: warning CS1684: Reference to type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControlMode' claims it is defined in 'c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Web.dll', but it could not be found
    C:\Users\richard\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\DynamicDataTryout\DynamicDataTryout\DynamicData\FieldTemplates\ForeignKey_Edit.ascx.cs(37,17): error CS0570: 'System.Web.DynamicData.FieldTemplateUserControl.Mode' is not supported by the language
    c:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.5\System.Web.DynamicData.dll: (Related file)
    C:\Users\richard\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\DynamicDataTryout\DynamicDataTryout\DynamicData\FieldTemplates\ForeignKey_Edit.ascx.cs(37,25): error CS0103: The name 'DataBoundControlMode' does not exist in the current context

My computer has been running VS2008 for ages.  I don't think I ever installed any of the previews or betas of dynamic data or SP1.  Recently I installed VS2008 SP1 to get all the new features.  I tried removing and re-adding the references it complains about but ended up back where I started.  This same problem happens if a use either New->Project or New->Website and select Dynamic Data.

I've searched the web, forums and MSDN but can't find any reference to these errors.  Anyone have any clues how to fix this?

Cheers

Richard.

Monday, November 3, 2008 5:30 AM

Answers

• User660823006 posted

These types of errors indicate that you don't have .NET 3.5 SP1 installed on the computer. The types it is complaining about were added in SP1. Do you have one of our preview releases installed? If so uninstall that and install .NET 3.5 SP1 and things should work.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, November 3, 2008 11:37 AM
  • User-1005219520 posted

You can download dotnetfx35setup.exe ( .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1) here.

Monday, November 3, 2008 3:18 PM

All replies

• User660823006 posted

These types of errors indicate that you don't have .NET 3.5 SP1 installed on the computer. The types it is complaining about were added in SP1. Do you have one of our preview releases installed? If so uninstall that and install .NET 3.5 SP1 and things should work.

Monday, November 3, 2008 11:37 AM
  • User-1005219520 posted

You can download dotnetfx35setup.exe ( .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1) here.

Monday, November 3, 2008 3:18 PM
  • User1181511755 posted

Thanks for your replies.  It looks like my PC setup is broken somehow - SP1 IS installed, or at least it claims to be in both Control Panel Add/Remove Programs and VS2008 Help->About.  Trying to uninstall it and reinstall resulting in my PC rebooting to configure Windows Updates, then showing the error "Updates were not configured correctly.  Reverting changes."  Since troubleshooting Windows Updates is probably off-topic for this forum, I'll leave this thread for now - thanks for your suggestions.

Cheers

Richard.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 10:35 AM