how to set vb2008 build output path "permanently"? RRS feed

• Question

• I've done most of my testing under vb2008 debug.  Now that I'm doing higher level testing with the executable I've found that I have to set the build output path every time I start the project - in fact, If I don't keep the project properties window open, I have to change the path back after every build.

I'm working with several projects whose executables interact, therefore I am constantly switching projects to tweek one of the other modules and I have to configure the build output path again every time.

Is there a way to tell it to remember the path "permanently" until I change it?

Thanks

ftbrady
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:35 AM

Answers

• @Ftbrady,

Yes, it is, just do it.

Call me ghost for short, Thanks
    To get the better anwser, it should be a better question.
    • Marked as answer by ftbrady Wednesday, December 21, 2011 4:36 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:48 PM

All replies

• Rightclick your main application solution=> CLick property=>Selct in Compile tab

Change the Build output path  textbox value using the browse button.

Now you compile your project

If you find an answer helpful, click the helpful button. If you find an answer to your question, mark it as the answer.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:49 AM
  • Jo,

That's the way I've been doing it.  But it reverts back if I close the properties page.  And it reverts back when I close and reopen the project.

Thanks

ftbrady
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:13 AM
  • Any reason you don't make build configurations using configuration manager?

Build -> Configuration manager and build different types of builds (for debug and for release) 

Success
    Cor
    • Proposed as answer by Mike Feng Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:44 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:35 AM
  • Cor,

Probably because I considered that just another layer of complexity I didn't want to add to this VB6 to VB.NET conversion nightmare.  Also, "Configuration Manager" didn't seem to be among the project startup descriptions I read when I got VB2008 (Express).

Since I'm the only "Customer" for my projects I'm in the habit of zipping up the contents of the project folder (at "release" points) for nightly archiving by my automated shutdown and backup system.  That has been the extent of my source control.

Before I go down this path, would this allow me to set the path where I want my executable and not change that path unless I wanted to?

Thanks

ftbrady
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:29 PM
  • @Ftbrady,

Yes, it is, just do it.

Call me ghost for short, Thanks
    To get the better anwser, it should be a better question.
    • Marked as answer by ftbrady Wednesday, December 21, 2011 4:36 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:48 PM