Issues using vstest.console.exe and binding v14.0.0.0 dlls RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We are trying to run tests using vstest.console.exe (using VS 2015 and associated tools), but are getting some warnings of the form:

Test Run deployment issue: an error occurred while getting satellite assemblies for deployment item.....System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: startIndex cannot be larger than length of string

Further investigation, using fuslogvw, shows we are getting a number of dll errors, a typical one being:

The operation failed.
    Bind result: hr = 0x80070002. The system cannot find the file specified.
    Assembly manager loaded from:  C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
    Running under executable  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TestWindow\vstest.console.exe
    --- A detailed error log follows.

=== Pre-bind state information ===
    LOG: DisplayName = Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamSystem.Licensing, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
     (Fully-specified)
    LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0/Common7/IDE/CommonExtensions/Microsoft/TestWindow/
    LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
    LOG: Dynamic Base = NULL
    LOG: Cache Base = NULL
    LOG: AppName = vstest.console.exe
    Calling assembly : (Unknown).

After various bits of investigation it has become clear that the version of the above dll present on disk is 14.0.23107, rather than the version being searched for (14.0.0.0).

This rather suggests that we have some incompatible versions of the tools deployed, but we cannot work out what!

Has anyone met, and resolved, this issue before

Many thanks in anticipation

Gavin Clark

Friday, November 20, 2015 10:39 AM

Answers

• Hi Gavin R. Clark,

I did a test on my local machine with VS2015 and my command line version was same to you as 14.0.23107. The error was not occurred.

So I think the problem was not the  incompatible versions of the tools deployed.

From the warning message you offered. I suspect if the deployment configuration in .runsetting file was out of range.

Would you like to tell me whether you used .runnsetting file while running tests using vstest.console.exe?

On the other hand. I suggest you could create an empty unit test project using vstest.console.exe to test and check if the error was still existed.

Best Regards,
    Lake Xiao
    Monday, November 23, 2015 8:30 AM