none
Internet Access MSAccess2007 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello, guys

I have a WIn Form application that wroten by c# and using MSAccess 2007
    database.
    It work fine since it is only single user application.

But now my client want to put the database to internet and let the
    application can access the database through internet for multiple-User. It
    mean different user in different location who can use the same program to
    access the same database.

So i intend to upload the database to internet and modify the connection
    string that in the program to eliminate the big change in the program

So my problem is : i tried to put the database to ftp server and web server,
    then i used ODBC to access it. Definitely, it seen not work.

So any suggestion for me to do the task that i mention ?

Thanks a lot

Kernoma
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 8:33 PM

Answers

• I believe you need to change design of your application, not just connection string. You cannot connect to remote Access database directly. What you need to do is to create Web service, which will be hosted on some server. Web services will accept requests from your Windows Forms application clients and retrieve data from database and return DataTable/DataSet to calling application. You need keep in mind that it is pretty expensive from the performance point of view, so your Web service would need to return only required data, not all the records from some table(s).

Thursday, February 14, 2008 11:18 AM

All replies

• I believe you need to change design of your application, not just connection string. You cannot connect to remote Access database directly. What you need to do is to create Web service, which will be hosted on some server. Web services will accept requests from your Windows Forms application clients and retrieve data from database and return DataTable/DataSet to calling application. You need keep in mind that it is pretty expensive from the performance point of view, so your Web service would need to return only required data, not all the records from some table(s).

Thursday, February 14, 2008 11:18 AM
  • You will probably need to create a web service to access your database and use that to pass the data back to your WinForm application. There currently are no supported data access methods that will enable you to connect directly to a remote Access database in .NET.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 3:34 PM