none
What is the latest on using multiple databases in one entity model RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently trying to redesign an access database using SQL and Entity model.  My problem is the Access solution uses multiple databases with links between them to access the data on the other databases.  Dead easy in Access ImportData--Link and then use it exactly like a local table.

I gather EF does not support multiple databases, at least in EF4.  Since we are now up to EF6 can I ask what is the current position or plans.  One reason for going with Entity framework was to avoid having to learn the nitty-gritty of SQL server so I an anxious to avoid SQL based solutions which I see for EF4, plus I need associations between the tables in the different databases.

It seems such an obvious need, and fits well with the data abstraction principle of EF that I hunted for the obvious solution for ages and was amazed not to find one.

John Meers

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 11:07 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Welcome to visit this forum.

Actually Entity Framework 6 Release Candidate is available.

The following features and changes have been implemented:

Interception/SQL logging provides low-level building blocks for interception of EF operations with simple SQL logging built on top. We've created a feature specification for this feature and Arthur Vickers has created a multi-part blog series covering this feature.

Testability improvements make it easier to create test doubles for DbContext and DbSet. We’ve created walkthroughs showing how to take advantage of these changes using a mocking framework or writing your own test doubles.

Extensive API changes as a result of polishing the design and implementation of new features. In particular, there have been significant changes in Custom Code First Conventions and Code-Based Configuration. We’ve updated the feature specs and walkthroughs to reflect these changes.

EF Designer now supports EF6 in projects targeting .NET Framework 4. This limitation from EF6 Beta 1 has now been removed.

On the Microsoft Blogs, it has been explained very detail and it also tells What's Next: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/adonet/archive/2013/08/21/ef6-release-candidate-available.aspx

Thanks &Regards.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 2:02 AM
  • If you want to know the next plan or the newest thing regarding the Entity Framework, for this, there is a blog opened by the Entity Framework team:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/adonet/

Regards.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by JohnMeers Friday, October 4, 2013 8:52 PM
    Friday, October 4, 2013 8:35 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Welcome to visit this forum.

Actually Entity Framework 6 Release Candidate is available.

The following features and changes have been implemented:

Interception/SQL logging provides low-level building blocks for interception of EF operations with simple SQL logging built on top. We've created a feature specification for this feature and Arthur Vickers has created a multi-part blog series covering this feature.

Testability improvements make it easier to create test doubles for DbContext and DbSet. We’ve created walkthroughs showing how to take advantage of these changes using a mocking framework or writing your own test doubles.

Extensive API changes as a result of polishing the design and implementation of new features. In particular, there have been significant changes in Custom Code First Conventions and Code-Based Configuration. We’ve updated the feature specs and walkthroughs to reflect these changes.

EF Designer now supports EF6 in projects targeting .NET Framework 4. This limitation from EF6 Beta 1 has now been removed.

On the Microsoft Blogs, it has been explained very detail and it also tells What's Next: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/adonet/archive/2013/08/21/ef6-release-candidate-available.aspx

Thanks &Regards.

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Thursday, September 26, 2013 2:02 AM
  • I have tried EF6, and the answer is all very interesting but does not seem to answer my question which is when will multiple databases be supported.

What I want to do is have several different databases feeding into one context so I can build the application without having to be concerned about which database is involved (eg separate customers, orders databases and so on)

Having read the forums on this I know it is not immediately in sight, but is it anywhere nearer yet?

John

John Meers

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 5:27 PM
  • I have tried EF6, and the answer is all very interesting but does not seem to answer my question which is when will multiple databases be supported.

What I want to do is have several different databases feeding into one context so I can build the application without having to be concerned about which database is involved (eg separate customers, orders databases and so on)

Having read the forums on this I know it is not immediately in sight, but is it anywhere nearer yet?

John

John Meers

good
    Wednesday, October 2, 2013 5:28 PM
  • If you want to know the next plan or the newest thing regarding the Entity Framework, for this, there is a blog opened by the Entity Framework team:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/adonet/

Regards.

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by JohnMeers Friday, October 4, 2013 8:52 PM
    Friday, October 4, 2013 8:35 AM