none
Can no longer deploy KMDF driver to target from VS2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am developing a KMDF driver for a real device using Visual Studio 2012 and WDK8.  I have a my development computer connected to the target using 1394.  I had it working just fine for a month or so, but now all of a sudden when Visual Studio tries to deploy the driver files it gets stuck repeating the message "Attempting to connect...".

I thought that I may have somehow messed up my configuration, so I tried to provision the test environment once again from Visual Studio.  Now when I provision I get the error "Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect".  I am assuming that the driver deployment problem is caused by the same incorrect account name issue.

The log file contains the following:

Progress event: Current: 0, Max: -1, Message: "Connecting to computer "61TJJS1""
    Initialize: Computer: 61TJJS1
    System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect
       at Microsoft.DriverKit.DriverTestServices.RemoteConnect(String machineName, Boolean prompt, Boolean commandLine)
       at Microsoft.DriverKit.DriverTestServices.ValidateComputer(String computerName)
    InstallComputer: Host Computer: DKBLJS1
    InstallComputer: Host Architecture: x86
    InstallComputer: Host 64bit Operating System: True
    InstallComputer: Host Operating System Version: 6.1.7601.65536
    InstallComputer: Process Administrator Privilege: True
    Progress event: Current: 1, Max: 18, Message: "Installing driver test automation service"
    [13:44:07:598]: Installing provisioning service
    [13:44:23:955]: Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect
    Progress event: Current: 1, Max: 18, Message: "Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect"

It may also worth mentioning that when I run windbg stand alone, it connects to the target with no problems and I can still debug my driver.  But it is much more convenient to deploy using VS and I would like to get it working again.

Does anybody have any ideas on what target account name it is looking for and how to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Mike

• Edited by moehl Wednesday, October 2, 2013 9:48 PM
    Wednesday, October 2, 2013 9:26 PM

Answers

• In order to deploy your driver (and do anything that isn't debugging), the WDK needs to have network access with proper credentials to the target machine. When you initially provision the target machine, a WDKRemoteUser account is created on the target machine, and the credentials for that account are stored on the host machine.

If the credentials for that account have changed on the target machine (for example, if you tried to provision it from a different host) or if the credentials somehow got corrupted, you will run into the logon failure message. Most of those issues have been fixed in WDK 8.1.

Easiest way to resolve this is to close VS on your host, then go on the target machine, login as an admin user and delete the WDKRemoteUser from the machine. After that, go back on the host machine and remove all stored credentials for the target machine (61TJJS1). Once that's done, reprovision the target machine from VS: VS should then ask you for credentials. Enter admin credentials and the WDK should recreate the WDKRemoteUser on the target and store those credentials.

Hopefully that works for you. When I get in a weird state like that, I sometimes simply reinstall the OS on my target machine (or revert to a clean state if it's a VM), as I find it simpler.

Max -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 3, 2013 9:37 PM

All replies

• In order to deploy your driver (and do anything that isn't debugging), the WDK needs to have network access with proper credentials to the target machine. When you initially provision the target machine, a WDKRemoteUser account is created on the target machine, and the credentials for that account are stored on the host machine.

If the credentials for that account have changed on the target machine (for example, if you tried to provision it from a different host) or if the credentials somehow got corrupted, you will run into the logon failure message. Most of those issues have been fixed in WDK 8.1.

Easiest way to resolve this is to close VS on your host, then go on the target machine, login as an admin user and delete the WDKRemoteUser from the machine. After that, go back on the host machine and remove all stored credentials for the target machine (61TJJS1). Once that's done, reprovision the target machine from VS: VS should then ask you for credentials. Enter admin credentials and the WDK should recreate the WDKRemoteUser on the target and store those credentials.

Hopefully that works for you. When I get in a weird state like that, I sometimes simply reinstall the OS on my target machine (or revert to a clean state if it's a VM), as I find it simpler.

Max -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 3, 2013 9:37 PM
  • Thank you Max, I appreciate the response, this all makes sense.  I will give it a try.

Mike

Friday, October 4, 2013 6:27 PM
  • Your suggestions were exactly what I needed to get deployment working again.  Thanks for your help.

Mike

Friday, October 11, 2013 3:52 AM