WACK - App launch time takes too long

Question

• When I run WACK (Windows App Certification Kit 2.2) on my app, it fails on the Performance launch.

WACK - Performance launch

It's the splashscreen that shows for that amount of time.
    Rendering the homepage and calling network services are done after the splashscreen has been dismissed. So I'm not sure why it is taking so long time to launch.

I need some help in figuring out what happens when the splashscreen is up.
    What can I do to lower my app launch time?

Additional info: It seems that the app launches much faster (about twice as fast) when I launch it from the simulator.

• Edited by Aratys Friday, March 15, 2013 2:26 PM Added additional info.
    Friday, March 15, 2013 12:04 PM

Answers

• Well, my app passes the WACK on other computers. Looks like there is a problem with Win8/VS2012/WACK on my laptop.
    • Marked as answer by Aratys Saturday, March 16, 2013 10:41 AM
    Saturday, March 16, 2013 10:41 AM

All replies

• Are you using Extended Splash screen? There must not be any long operations on Splash screen itself such as Calling a Web Service, for this you need to use extended splash screen. Look at the Windows Store sample and see this post by Chris Sells that explains how to create and extended splash screen http://csell.net/2012/11/03/31-days-of-windows-8-day-3-the-splash-screen/

Hope it helps

Zubair Ahmed | @zubairdotnet | zubairahmed.net | Win8RssReader.codeplex.com | facebook.com/zubair.ahmed.public

• Proposed as answer by Zubair Friday, March 15, 2013 12:41 PM
    • Edited by Zubair Friday, March 15, 2013 12:41 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Aratys Friday, March 15, 2013 1:02 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Zubair Friday, March 15, 2013 1:36 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Aratys Friday, March 15, 2013 2:13 PM
    Friday, March 15, 2013 12:41 PM
  • No, that will not help. All the processing I'm doing (rendering, network etc) is done after the spashscreen. The extended spashscreen will only be shown after the 5,238 seconds, and that's too late (if it was needed).

It is everything before that is the problem. Windows is doing something before it reaches my code that takes too long time.

Friday, March 15, 2013 1:02 PM
  • If I remember correctly for my app WACK failed it even though I did expensive network calls on the MainPage.xaml, so I suggest you make an extended splash screen, move your calls there and try

Zubair Ahmed | @zubairdotnet | zubairahmed.net | Win8RssReader.codeplex.com | facebook.com/zubair.ahmed.public

• Proposed as answer by Zubair Friday, March 15, 2013 1:36 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Aratys Friday, March 15, 2013 2:13 PM
    Friday, March 15, 2013 1:36 PM
  • I have commented out all the code in the homepage (home.js) and it still takes ~5,238 seconds to load. So it is clearly not the homepage that is taking too long to load.

Below is a screenshot of how long time has passed between when the app has been activated (the activated event has fired) and when the splashscreen has been dismissed. There we can see that the splashscreen is taking 5 seconds (!) before anything else is happening.

If I were to create an extended splashscreen will only be shown for 236 milliseconds.

Time difference.

Friday, March 15, 2013 2:13 PM
  • Well, my app passes the WACK on other computers. Looks like there is a problem with Win8/VS2012/WACK on my laptop.
    • Marked as answer by Aratys Saturday, March 16, 2013 10:41 AM
    Saturday, March 16, 2013 10:41 AM