none
More translations for Microsoft Developer documentations RRS feed

• General discussion

• Documenation for development technologies, that are available @ MSDN and TechNet should be translated to much more languages.

Cheers

• Moved by Mike Dos Zhang Tuesday, April 17, 2012 9:01 AM (From:General Windows Desktop Development Issues)
    Friday, April 13, 2012 10:43 AM

All replies

• For MSDN and Technet library feedback go to http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/libraryfeedback/threads

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP

Saturday, April 14, 2012 6:02 PM
  • For example?

-- pa

For example, the MSDN and TechNet docs should be translated to every language that is official language in country where MS has it's offices and sells it's products. So, if MS has it's offices in Poland and in Russia (yes, it has), every product of MS, that is available in these countries, should be also localized. So not only Windows operating system, but also MSDN documentation is such product, that is available in these countries. And i like to remind you, that MSDN/TechNet docs aren't fully translated to every official language, that are used in countries hosting the MS offices.
    Saturday, April 21, 2012 1:01 PM
  • How you are going to justify the cost? Merely opening an office does not guarantee the profit needed for your suggestion. Microsoft needs to maintain a profit margin to satisfy investors.

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP

Sunday, April 22, 2012 4:04 AM
  • How you are going to justify the cost? Merely opening an office does not guarantee the profit needed for your suggestion. Microsoft needs to maintain a profit margin to satisfy investors.

Visual C++ MVP

The first type of profit would be growing community of local developers, working with MS tools.

After a while, MS will start getting more incomes. Just for publishing free-to-use documentation, MS will get new MS software evangelists - which, as I said before, will result in growing income ( increased demand

for commercial versions of tools like Visual Studio ).

Q: "How you are going to justify the cost?"

A: Costs can be lowered, by using Bing Translator for translating docs AND allowing microsoft community to help with translations (wiki-like cooperation). So MS won't be forced to spend a lot of money on professional translations.

What do you think about that?

Cheers.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:09 PM
  • You know those software evangelists sell software made by Microsoft, not software written by third party and maybe competing with Microsoft in some area other than Windows.

There is a legal cost for publishing, you simply cannot ship wiki/open source content as is. Microsoft is the point of sale that needs to be patent and copy-right clear (think companies suing cellphone makers on Android). Wikipedia has a huge editor team that Microsoft does not have to make sure its content are suitable to be published everywhere, and even so it still has a lot of content with questionable licensing state (e.g. content temporary permitted before the constitutionality of Uruguay Round Agreements Act was upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court, but still being reviewed for deletion). 

Visual C++ MVP

Friday, May 18, 2012 10:52 PM
  • I didn't said it must be exactly on wiki-like system. MSDN uses it's own platform and it's ok.

But docs could be "opened" for community to translate them freely. Plus MS should translate them by itself also.

That's it, none high-cost operations. Just mainly community-driven translations with some help from MS. No more no less. IMO i don't see here any problems.

Saturday, June 2, 2012 11:32 AM
  • I'm part of the content localization team for Visual Studio and .NET Framework documentation. So what I say here might not apply to other products that also ship content on MSDN and Technet.

For Visual Studio 2012 RC and .NET 4.5 RC, we have shipped content in 10 different languages (versus 5 for the Beta release). Those 10 languages are: German, French, Brazilian ​Portuguese, ​Japanese, ​Spanish, ​Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Italian, ​Korean and​ ​Russian. So we continue to strive to have content available in more languages to our customers.

Content for these products have a mix of human translated content and machine translated content. If you're interested in helping us to improve the quality of the translations, you can visit our new Community Translation web site in the following languages/locales: English, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese (Brazil) and Chinese Simplified. We have a Translation Wiki tool that allow you to add translation suggestions to improve the quality of translations at sentence level. So get involved if you speak any of those languages (other than English, of course).
    Regards,
    Maíra Wenzel

International Project Manager | DGI UE Localization

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:50 PM
  • That's what i'm talking about. Thanks for help!
    Saturday, June 16, 2012 3:46 PM
  • I'm glad that you found helpful. And for your information, we now have also launched Community Translation web sites for Chinese Traditional, Italian, Korean, Russian and Spanish.

Regards,

Maíra Wenzel

International Project Manager | DGI UE Localization

Monday, June 25, 2012 3:53 PM