none
Rich text field with background color that is not visible for printing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, we're using Rich Text Fields quite extensively to create bindings between the document and our custom Word Task Pane app.

My question: I see that Rich Text Fields have a grey background by default, which is fine, however this background color is only visible when the user "hovers" over the field itself. If the user just reads the document he is not able to spot any differences between Rich Text Fields and regular text. We don't want to change the text formatting itself, but we would like to display that grey background constantly for all Rich Text Fields, however it should NOT be visible when printing. Is there any way to realize this?

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Westernacher

Word 2013, only, offers additional options for displaying content controls. The one option that makes them visible all the time is "start and end tags". In this mode, the content controls display as they do when you've activated Design Mode in the developer tab. And you can set the color of each tag.

But you need to change the setting before printing in order to NOT see the tags.

Other than that, your only choice is to use Highlighting or some other formatting.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 2:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Westernacher

Word 2013, only, offers additional options for displaying content controls. The one option that makes them visible all the time is "start and end tags". In this mode, the content controls display as they do when you've activated Design Mode in the developer tab. And you can set the color of each tag.

But you need to change the setting before printing in order to NOT see the tags.

Other than that, your only choice is to use Highlighting or some other formatting.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 2:52 PM
  • If you restrict editing and allow editing in your content controls your users would be able to highlight the next editable area. Only works with restricted editing turned on, though.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Thursday, May 15, 2014 1:05 AM