none
Degraded performance of VMs as compared to Web App Service. RRS feed

• Question

• We are using Web App Service to host our websites. We are planning to move to VMs having improved performace. However after testing site performance we found that sites hosted on VMs are showing delay in response as compared to site hosted in Web App Service. 1) Web App Service Details: Size: S2, 3.5 GB memory A=Series Compute,200 Total ACU Mirror enviornment response time: 6.69 sec 2) VMs enviornment details: Size : Standard E2s v3 (2 vcpus, 16 GiB memory) POC environment response time : 8.03 sec Please Note: Both environment are using same code and pointing to same database

Question: How can I achieve improved performance in VM environment

• Edited by ManojPrasad Monday, August 12, 2019 2:36 PM Updated configuration
    Monday, August 12, 2019 2:33 PM

All replies

• HI Manoj,

ACU for E series(160 to 190) is less than what you have opted for webapp(200).

For ACU(Azure compute units) refer here. Also Webapps are optimized for running apps. You will always have a better performance in webapps than VM with the same configuration.

I see that your application is compute intensive(because VM had more RAM than Webapp but that didnt help)

I suggest you to try with F series(Compute optimized VM) and try the same test cases. Just stop the existing e series VM, Then change the size to f series and then run the tests again.

You can also increase the cores from 2 to 4 for better performance. 

I also see that there is a support case opened by you. You can share the resolution here if the support case is solved .

Try this output  and let me know.

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 12:13 PM
  • Any update on this issue? 

If you found the above proposed answer useful, please remember to "Up-vote" and "Mark as Answer" so others in the community can easily find the answer. 

Thursday, August 15, 2019 9:36 PM
  • Any update on this? 

If the proposed answer was useful, please remember to "Up-Vote" and "Mark as Answer" so others in the community can benefit 

Thursday, August 22, 2019 10:02 PM
  • Hello,

Any update on the issue?

If your issue is resolved with the provided suggestion, do click “Mark as Answer” and "Up-Vote" on the post that helped you, so that other forum members can benefit from it.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, August 28, 2019 11:09 AM