Reinstall VS 2008 After Vista Premium to Ultimate Upgrade? RRS feed

• Question

• Here's my situation...

Have a 3 week old HP desktop running Vista Home Premium.
    I am a photographer as well as software developer.  I've installed
    all my photo editing software as well as IIS 7.0 and VS 2008 on the machine and
    all seems to be working well.

I want to install SQL Server 2005 Developer and eventually side by side
    SQL Server 2008 developer.

I was googling about such with my current OS(Vista Home Premium) and have run across a number
    of posts describing problems with running SQL SErver on Vista Home Premium vs. Vista
    Ultimate.

So I was considering upgrading to Vista Ultimate.  My question is do I need
    to uninstall/reinstall VS 2008 following the upgrade to gaint he advantages of
    the new OS?

Monday, April 20, 2009 9:42 AM

Answers

• Hi LarryJoeB,

If you have any concern on using SQL Server on Vista, you can post your issue on SQL Server forum to get more useful help.

Some files, folder and registry are to be installed to System Drive when you try installing Visual Studio.
    If you decide to apply a new OS, you should reinstall Visual Studio 2008 since the System Drive will be formatted during the installation of OS. 

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, April 27, 2009 2:20 AM
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:41 AM

All replies

• You should at least see if SQL Server (2008) works fine. If it does, then there wouldn't be much point in upgrading.
    Hobbyist programmer: VB.NET, C++, Pascal
    Monday, April 20, 2009 10:35 PM
  • Hi LarryJoeB,

If you have any concern on using SQL Server on Vista, you can post your issue on SQL Server forum to get more useful help.

Some files, folder and registry are to be installed to System Drive when you try installing Visual Studio.
    If you decide to apply a new OS, you should reinstall Visual Studio 2008 since the System Drive will be formatted during the installation of OS. 

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, April 27, 2009 2:20 AM
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:41 AM
  • hello,  you can use VS 2008 and MS SQL Server2005 & 2008 in MS Vista Home Premium. But if you  upgrade ur OS to Vista Ultimate you should re-install tht MS SQL Server 2005 or 2008 again.

Thanks
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:54 AM