none
Where are cell borders placed? RRS feed

Answers

• Hi Dave, I believe that you are correct. Using a 3x3 table and the tcBorders element on the center cell to see how it might affect the cells around it, I tested the top, bottom, start, and end types using the same settings used in the specification, but as a different color to make it easier to see if it was drawing over the single pixel cell border. Here is how each one rendered. Vertical borders are centered on the border line between the cells while the top and bottom border are always rendered below the border line they apply to. Please let me know if this answers your question.

<w:tcBorders>

<w:xxxxx w:val="double" w:sz="24" w:space="0" w:color="9999FF"/>

Bottom

Start

End

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Thursday, April 21, 2016 10:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

Thank you for your question. One of our protocols support engineers will respond.

Jeff McCashland | Microsoft Protocols Open Specifications Team

Thursday, April 21, 2016 7:53 PM
  • Hi Dave, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 9:07 PM
  • Hi Dave, are you looking at the latest version of the ISO/IEC 29500 specification from 2012? In the version that I am looking at, tcBorders is documented in section 17.4.66. Or was that just a typo?

Thursday, April 21, 2016 9:15 PM
  • Sorry yes, my link on my desktop is to the 2012 spec.

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Thursday, April 21, 2016 9:17 PM
  • Where is the latest of the spec? http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-376.htm only goes up to 2012.

thanks - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Thursday, April 21, 2016 9:26 PM
  • Hi Dave, we will almost always reference the ISO/IEC 29500 specification that can be found at the very bottom of the follow page: http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/index.html

Thursday, April 21, 2016 9:30 PM
  • Hi Dave, I believe that you are correct. Using a 3x3 table and the tcBorders element on the center cell to see how it might affect the cells around it, I tested the top, bottom, start, and end types using the same settings used in the specification, but as a different color to make it easier to see if it was drawing over the single pixel cell border. Here is how each one rendered. Vertical borders are centered on the border line between the cells while the top and bottom border are always rendered below the border line they apply to. Please let me know if this answers your question.

<w:xxxxx w:val="double" w:sz="24" w:space="0" w:color="9999FF"/>

Bottom

Start

End

Thursday, April 21, 2016 10:20 PM
  • Hi Josh;

Thank you. I'm a lot more comfortable with you validating this stuff. Please suggest they add this to the spec.

thanks - dave

Thursday, April 21, 2016 10:48 PM
  • I just downloaded them and docs 1, 2, & 4 are 2012. And doc 3 is 2015. So that's still the older version.

??? - thanks - dave

Thursday, April 21, 2016 10:53 PM
  • Hi Dave, I believe that the part 3 document was the only one updated last year. The parts 1, 2, and 4 documents from 2012 are still considered the "current" versions.

Because the ISO/IEC 29500 specification doesn't describe how the cell borders should be rendered, any details about how Word does it would be considered an implementation detail. I think it would be good idea to document it as a behavior in the MS-OI29500 document though. I will file a request to have that done.

Friday, April 22, 2016 7:44 PM