IOS Simulator RRS feed

• Question

• User212841 posted

This a long question but I think many will need this answer. My company plan to use Xamarin.forms for our (android, IOS, Windows phone) applications. I installed VS2015 update 2 with Xamarin try a new forms project all work fine except build or run the .IOS app, I found that we need a mac device to get it build and run. What I want to ask for:- 1- Is there any emulator didn't need mac device and can used with xamarin.forms? 2- If not, there is any web service to handle this (for developers not for test)? 3- If not, are I need a mac device for each development machine or one is enough? and must in same network or can be via internet connection? 4- Is there any requirements on the mac device ( hardware, system version, applications, etc...)

Thursday, April 7, 2016 11:38 PM

Answers

• User76916 posted

@mohammedsoliman

1. Unfortunately not. Due to Apple licensing restrictions, you must own a Mac
    2. Not that I am aware of
    3. It must be on the same network (this can even be via VPN). I think you need a mac per development machine, but that is just so more than one can use it at a time. If you won't be using it at the same time, then 1 mac for multiple developers can work.
    4. I have a mini mac that works just fine. It is the cheapest option, however it can be a little slow to debug and run on. Because I normally develop in Android and Windows first, the iOS one is normally just UI fixes but if you are doing heavy iOS development first, I would be inclined to get a faster machine.

Use something like Gorilla player to test your UI updates on iOS without having to run and recompile all the time, that helps speed up iOS dev in this setup.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, April 8, 2016 12:48 AM

All replies

• User76916 posted

@mohammedsoliman

1. Unfortunately not. Due to Apple licensing restrictions, you must own a Mac
    2. Not that I am aware of
    3. It must be on the same network (this can even be via VPN). I think you need a mac per development machine, but that is just so more than one can use it at a time. If you won't be using it at the same time, then 1 mac for multiple developers can work.
    4. I have a mini mac that works just fine. It is the cheapest option, however it can be a little slow to debug and run on. Because I normally develop in Android and Windows first, the iOS one is normally just UI fixes but if you are doing heavy iOS development first, I would be inclined to get a faster machine.

Use something like Gorilla player to test your UI updates on iOS without having to run and recompile all the time, that helps speed up iOS dev in this setup.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, April 8, 2016 12:48 AM
  • User12211 posted

Note that Mac mini's come in several flavors, so you can get a faster Mac mini than the base $499 model. It's still cheaper than an iMac, Macbook Pro or Mac Pro.

Friday, April 8, 2016 1:56 AM