Localization and Language Pack for Win-Server 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• User-1341056535 posted

I'm developping a localizable web application, in which I can flip back and forth from a language to another. Everything works fine!

I've also installed the French language pack on my development computer (Vista) and it takes care automatically of the translations of complex controls provided by the .NET framework 3.5, such as: Login, ChangePassword, ASP.NET errors, ... depending of the current culture of the web session. This spares me a lot of work translating everything myself in resource files.

Although I know what to do to set it up on Vista or XP, I'm not quite sure what to install on Windows Server 2003 in order to acheive the same result. I can't afford to guess and check  (installing/uninstalling), and mess up my servers.

Does someone know which component(s) should be installed?

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 11:41 AM

Answers

• User-1136466523 posted

Hi,

I think what you are talking is the localization feature of ASP.net,  right?

If so, just deploy your ASP.net applicaiton on your Windows 2003 server as you usually did, set the resources file for your controls, and the language package you described is for client side computer.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, June 8, 2009 10:56 PM

All replies

• User-1136466523 posted

Hi,

I think what you are talking is the localization feature of ASP.net,  right?

If so, just deploy your ASP.net applicaiton on your Windows 2003 server as you usually did, set the resources file for your controls, and the language package you described is for client side computer.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, June 8, 2009 10:56 PM
  • User-1341056535 posted
    Thanks, But that is what I did. I do provide (now) resources file for translation on the server, but since these translations are unnecessary on the development computer, I thought the same should be possible on the WinServer 2003 as well. When I don't provide localized translations, my local web server (Vista) picks up the CurrentUICulture and perform a translation (without my resources), when necessary, of the labels and validation messages for ASP.NET controls such as Login, ChangePassord, .... I figured out that "feature" by accident when I noticed messages which I did not translate where still translated by the system. Not than I'm lazy, but I would have prefer to have the same behavior on WinServer 2003 as well, because I'd rather rely on translation perform by the .NET framework.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 10:17 AM