"Solution folders are not supported in this version of the application"

Question

• Hello, this is my first post here so please be easy an a noob!

We are building a cross-platform application. (Details here: www.freeswitch.org) The main Windows developer uses Visual Studio but we don't expect everyone who wants to try our app to have to buy the full version so we recommend using VC++ Express 2008. One thing we've noticed is that we get a number of these warnings:

"Solution folders are not supported in this version of the application"

We believe we know why this occurs - the main dev used Visual Studio - but our question is this: can these warnings be suppressed? They don't actually affect our ability to build the solution. Once I click past all the warnings (like 65 times!) I can just press F7 and the solution is built without any further issues. We are trying to lower the barrier to entry for new ones and these warning dialogs tend to scare people away.

Any assistance on how to suppress these warnings - or condense them into one warning for all folders instead of a single warning for every folder - would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
    -MC
    Monday, December 22, 2008 5:21 PM

All replies

• Once you get these solutions moved have you tryed converting them to the other version so it reads as it was built in that version.
    Monday, November 02, 2009 2:25 PM
  • The Express version simply does not support solution folders.

You will have to either eliminate the solution folders in the original non-express solution before conversion, or create a new express solution by hand that uses the original files and configuration except for the solution folders.

I have no idea why solution folders are not included in the express editions. It's a royal pain when you're trying to make a VC++ project available to the public or a group that might not have the commercial version of VC++. Solution folders have nothing to do with the added commercial packages ATL and MFC in the commercial VC++ version. It's marketing by annoyance instead of by added value.

I hope that helps.
    Monday, November 02, 2009 9:52 PM
  • no doubt!!  thanks for all the work on nerd dinner which teaches MVC!  To bad I cant open it. 

http://nerddinner.codeplex.com/releases/view/45647#ReviewsAnchor

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 1:04 AM