none
EAS backend development RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Could someone guide me on developing Exchange Active Sync backend development? I just curious to know how long(days) it would take approximately if i want to develop the back-end server only and any links for helping the development. I have the right skills to develop and have some prior experience on imap/pop and having 3 members team. After developing the back-end, we want to support EAS access from mobile apps/UI.

Thank you in advance!

• Edited by MartinNov Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:38 PM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 4:33 PM

All replies

• Any advise please?
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:40 PM
  • Can someone please give guidance on what are the high level modules would have involved to develop such EAS back-end server development?

Thank you.

Friday, August 17, 2012 6:54 AM
  • There isn't much information about A/S coding available. I don't think MS expects anyone to start playing with it by themselves. However, I'm aware of at least one guy who is doing some digging of his own:

http://mobilitydojo.net/2010/03/17/digging-into-the-exchange-activesync-protocol/

Mobile OWA For Smartphone
    www.leederbyshire.com
    email a@t leederbyshire d.0.t c.0.m

Friday, August 17, 2012 12:54 PM
  • I've been through some of the client side stuff on my blog, and done some tutorials. As for the server side - just write something that matches up with the client side :)

Jokes aside - the main source of official documentation is over at the MSDN library: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc425499(v=exchg.80)

The MS-AS* docs would be relevant.

The challenge is that while these documents certainly document the protocol it's a bit of work to turn it into working code and do an implementation compatible with Exchange Server.

IBM has implemented it for Lotus Domino, so it can be done, but I'm guessing some of the programmers at IBM might have been talking to some programmers at MSFT to get some more details. (They have licensed the use of the protocol so it probably didn't come for free.)

The actual implementation probably doesn't require any overly complex coding skills as we're mainly dealing with HTTP requests back and forth. Go wild on the database side if you like of course, but expect major parts of the effort to be testing and figuring out minor issues. Oh, and only Exchange 2007 onwards is publicly documented - if you want to emulate Exchange 2003 include guessing how it works to be part of the job.

Of course if this is for a commercial project, where you will be selling something to customers, you should get in touch with MSFT to figure out the licensing details. With proper licensing you will have access to more info from MSFT.

Monday, August 20, 2012 8:41 PM