how to get the public documents libraries on metro application

Question

•       By using the method "KnownFolders::DocumentsLibrary" I can access [my documents] path like "C:\Users\win8_user\Documents" and write the certain file in it.

But now I want to access the [public documents] path like "C:\Users\Public\Documents" then write a .xml file in it in order to provide a path for the other metro applications to access the file (which was not on a user level but open to the public).

• Edited by Yongwei Yao Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:08 AM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:43 AM

Answers

• There is no separate Public Documents Library. There is just a Documents Library which contains a merged view of the user's private documents and the public documents.

If you look at the properties on the Documents library in Explorer you will see a list of the folders contained in the library.

The same applies to Music, Videos, and Pictures.

--Rob

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:12 PM
    Owner
  • Unless the user has changed the default save location for the documents library to the public folder this is not possible.

Generally the system does not want metro style apps to create private communication mechanisms with eachother. Instead the system provided contracts (shared, launch, file picking, contact picking) should be used.

Chris

• Marked as answer by Bob_Bao Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:45 AM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:07 AM

All replies

• There is no separate Public Documents Library. There is just a Documents Library which contains a merged view of the user's private documents and the public documents.

If you look at the properties on the Documents library in Explorer you will see a list of the folders contained in the library.

The same applies to Music, Videos, and Pictures.

--Rob

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:12 PM
    Owner
  • Unless the user has changed the default save location for the documents library to the public folder this is not possible.

Generally the system does not want metro style apps to create private communication mechanisms with eachother. Instead the system provided contracts (shared, launch, file picking, contact picking) should be used.

Chris

• Marked as answer by Bob_Bao Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:45 AM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:07 AM