none
What is the zoom level range for Bing maps? RRS feed

• Question

• I've spent 10 minutes Binging this question; I find it odd that the answer is not readily discoverable. I assume the lowest level is either 0 or 1, but what is the highest level? 15? 23? 42?
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 9:47 PM

Answers

• High resolution imagery is not available in all places of the globe. In the past we used to display a broken camera image in areas where we did not have imagery. this was later replaced with zoomed in versions of the imagery we did have to make for a slightly better user experience. In terms of capturing more high resolution imagery, Microsoft Bing Maps has released over 80M SQ KM of imagery this year. That's over 50% of the landmass of the globe. You will be hard pressed to find any mapping provider who has as much imagery that is this new and this high quality.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 9:53 AM
  • It depends on the map control. Most only go to zoom level 19 as those are the only zoom levels that imagery is available for. The WPF control does allow you to go to zoom level 22  (possibly 23 but it may crash due to calculation overflow). I believe the Windows 8 map control, in which this forum post was for also could be made to go to zoom level 21. The Windows 10 control, which you are using is a completely different control and zoom levels don't really apply as it uses a camera based system. The zoom level information it reports is only meant to make it easier for users to relate it to other Bing Maps controls. I haven't responded to your other post as one of the devs from the Windows maps team is on the forums regularly and would likely be able to provide more  details.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 3:54 PM

All replies

• I believe it is 21. It is different for some of the controls as the older ones only go to 19.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:27 PM
  • Richard

Thanks for this response.  I have a related question.  It appears that the max zoom level provides a sharp image in only certain areas; in others you just get a blurry (zoomed) image of the previous zoom level.  Apparently there are detailed zoom tiles for only those certain areas -- other areas are not stored down to that level of detail? (I see this effect using Windows Store app Bing Maps Control using C#/XAML.)

So my question is, is there a way to obtain (or encourage MS to obtain) more detailed images for (particular) such areas?

Thanks,

Bill

Bill Cohagan

Sunday, December 2, 2012 3:01 PM
  • High resolution imagery is not available in all places of the globe. In the past we used to display a broken camera image in areas where we did not have imagery. this was later replaced with zoomed in versions of the imagery we did have to make for a slightly better user experience. In terms of capturing more high resolution imagery, Microsoft Bing Maps has released over 80M SQ KM of imagery this year. That's over 50% of the landmass of the globe. You will be hard pressed to find any mapping provider who has as much imagery that is this new and this high quality.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 9:53 AM
  • Hello,

Recently, perhaps 7-14 days back, the penultimate zoom level  for my Bing map layers(Sat|Sat+Roads) stopped working.  Which is to say that high resolution penultimate zoom level in my OpenLayer mash-ups stopped working, and in my desktop OS X app(Cartographica) stopped working.

I cannot find any information about this anywhere... perhaps someone here knows something about this?  

Thanks,

Eric

Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:23 AM
  • How were you pulling in Bing Maps tiles into your applications?

Thursday, December 19, 2013 11:28 AM
  • I find that maximum zoom level is only 19!

Please correct me if I am wrong. I have asked a question (on MSDN) about setting higher Zoom level with no replies: http://bit.ly/2bcfvSH

• Edited by Amir001 Wednesday, August 17, 2016 12:17 PM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2016 12:01 PM
  • It depends on the map control. Most only go to zoom level 19 as those are the only zoom levels that imagery is available for. The WPF control does allow you to go to zoom level 22  (possibly 23 but it may crash due to calculation overflow). I believe the Windows 8 map control, in which this forum post was for also could be made to go to zoom level 21. The Windows 10 control, which you are using is a completely different control and zoom levels don't really apply as it uses a camera based system. The zoom level information it reports is only meant to make it easier for users to relate it to other Bing Maps controls. I haven't responded to your other post as one of the devs from the Windows maps team is on the forums regularly and would likely be able to provide more  details.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 3:54 PM
  • Thanks for the info. Hopefully someone from support will answer my question for UWP map control.
    Thursday, August 18, 2016 12:31 PM