none
FileSystemPowerFunction call hangs RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We currently have an anoying issue where if we a shutting down, rebooting or suspending, we get hung in a call to FileSystemPowerFunction, but the rest of the system is still active.

-The issue only appears to effect Windows Embedded Compact 2013, not Windows Embedded Compact 7, and occurs approximately 1 in 5 power down sequences.

-If I copy the debug dll of filesys into a release build and enable all debug zones the issue seems to disappear (I tested for an hour with an ~4minute test cycle, therefore it ran 13 times).

-If I add a 50ms prior to the call it breaks every time.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas to resolve or progress this issue.

Regards

Chad

Friday, December 2, 2016 2:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Chad,

Are you working with your BSP manufacturer? Is it unique to your device or does it happen on other platforms?  This call relies on power aware drivers in the BSP, are you able to trace through and discover what might not be responding? https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee478767.aspx

Also what QFE level do you have applied?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, December 2, 2016 4:49 PM
  • Hello again IoTGirl.

Thank you for the reply

We are in control of our BSP. While I do not have the ability to test this on other platforms a quick search has revealed that other have the same unanswered question or it have resolved itself and they have not posted how.

I did try to get information from the extfat.dll by coping the debug dll into the release dir and setting up the zones in the registry but to no success.

Do you know what function this call pops out in, in driver level, and do you know if we have access to the code as the function itself is proprietary and the documentation is very vague.

Update: We are up to septembers QFEs

Regards

Chad

Monday, December 5, 2016 9:29 AM
  • Hi Chad,

I am not sure why you are looking at exfat.dll as this is an OEM controllable call. Again, I would ask if your memory drivers are power aware and handling power state messages as expected.  See https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee478767.aspx .

For example, please see in Platform.cpp on that the IMX6 does that call, not the fat itself.  It is up to the OEM, if they call this function to ensure that the block driver handles the power state change appropriately.  Have you instrumented your block drivers to ensure they are handling power notifications correctly? In a timely manner?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, December 5, 2016 7:19 PM