Azure recovery vault is holding on to backups way older than my retention policy RRS feed

• Question

• I don't want to recreate a vault and start over due to the bandwidth usage needed to recreate everything. I've been systematically reducing my retention period over the past few weeks to see if my storage usage and available recovery points would shrink but neither has.

The vault is NewShifletDC. It's even holding on to data for a drive on my server that isn't even being protected (F:). I don't have a paid support plan so I'm hoping to get some help here.

thanx

This posting is provided "as is" and confers no rights.

Monday, January 22, 2018 2:39 PM

All replies

• 1.Which of the Azure backup products MARS (Microsoft Azure Recovery Services Agent)/IaaS VM/DPM/MABS (Microsoft Azure backup server) are you referring to? 

2. When you say, “I've been systematically reducing my retention period over the past few weeks” Have you edited the backup retention policy?

Currently, you can’t delete individual recovery point/Backed-up data from the recovery services vault; recovery point/Backed-up data deletes automatically if it reaches the retention period. if you choose to delete your backup data while stopping the protection, it will delete all the recovery points/Backed-up data associated with the item.

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Monday, January 22, 2018 3:14 PM
  • 1. The Microsoft Azure Backup on Windows Server 2012 with MARS agent version 2.0.9099. 

2. The Backup Retention policy is set to weekly/12 weeks and yearly/1 year. No daily or monthly retention schedule. For a couple months last year all my backups were failing due to a hardware error which I've since fixed.

Yet my list of recovery points stretches back to late 2015, 18 points in all with 4.4 TB of data usage.  Three of the oldest backups are for F:, which I removed from protection a long time ago. I've changed my backups from 1/week to 1/every other week to avoid even more monthly activity on the account than is needful.

Is there any way you or I can reduce the storage used to what the retention policy is supposed to have without creating a new vault and replicating everything from scratch? I don't have unlimited upload bandwidth/month so I have to trickle data to the cloud.

This posting is provided "as is" and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 2:00 PM
  • Could you email us the following details to azurebackupforumhelp at service dot Microsoft dot com?

1. Subscription ID.

2.Machine Name.

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 2:54 PM
  • How many instances are you protecting?

How many recovery points are you expecting for each protected instance and how many recovery points are you seeing on  the MARS client?

Monday, January 29, 2018 3:49 PM
  • Vikranth,

We can start discussing the requirements via email since that would be easier to follow-up. Then we can post the resolution in this forum so that the answer is known to everyone.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 4:59 AM