Files explorer XAML

Question

• I would like to create a metro app that has a very similar UI to the Files explorer. Is the source code available for this or are the any similar samples?

Thanks,

Jon

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:59 PM

Answers

• Because you creating metro-style app, I am assuming you are talking about File Picker UI and not Windows Explorer UI.

There is no full template for file browsing screen, but you can get a partial example: open Add New Item dialog and add "File Open Picker Contract". It will give you a page with layout ready to present files.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:20 PM

All replies

• you cant do this.. you dont have full access to the file system. You can make an explorer the libraries and your application storage.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:07 PM
  • I know I can't access the full file system. I want a UI very similar to it. Ideally I like the Files explorer as an application template.
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:10 PM
  • Because you creating metro-style app, I am assuming you are talking about File Picker UI and not Windows Explorer UI.

There is no full template for file browsing screen, but you can get a partial example: open Add New Item dialog and add "File Open Picker Contract". It will give you a page with layout ready to present files.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:20 PM
  • Thanks, that's helpful.

I'm trying to create an app that browses an external (rest api) file system. Ideally I'd like all the Files functionality, eg picker and search results. It would be nice if all the XAML for the system stuff and all the demo apps was available somewhere. It would be very useful if there were more examples and templates so it is easy to create a UI consistent with win 8 itself.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:08 PM