VFP 9 Form - Left to right and Right to left problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Using vfp 9.

I have used 2 parts in a form, eg: left and right, I use word for writing and formating in the right side and store in the db, on the left side , I have load old data, and current data, but the problem is , if right side has 1000 characters, cannot view characters more than 1000 in the left side. PLEASE GIVE A SOLUTION FOR THAT.. OW TO RESOLVE THIS...

• Edited by Naomi N Wednesday, June 5, 2013 3:18 PM More descriptive title
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:27 AM

Answers

• Your description is not very clear to me. But I believe I have understood the jist of your comments. It would appear that you are overwriting the old content (shown on the left) with the new content entered and shown on the right. When what you intend is to Append the new text to the existing text and show the combined text on the left.

An example being:

a) start situation - left control show some text:

"This is the old Text."

Whilst the right control is empty.

b) You now enter new text on the right:

"This is my new text"

During this stage the Left text is as under A)

c) you now click Save and the left text becomes:

"This is my new text"

Whilst the right control shows either the same value or is clear down.

However, what you want is for the left control to contain:

"This is the old Text

This is the new text."

If my assumption is correct, then what you need to do is change the save procedure to take account of the current content with some code like.

m.ltemptxt = tab1.lefttxtfld + CHR(10) + CHR(13) ;
                + thisform.righttextbox.value

replace lefttxtfld with m.ltemptxt in tab1

• Proposed as answer by Benny Gabel Friday, June 7, 2013 6:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Youen Zen Monday, June 17, 2013 6:51 AM
    Thursday, June 6, 2013 6:20 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• It would help if you could give a bit more information on the controls used to display the data (on left and right side) and how exactly you are interfacing with ".. I use word..."
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:57 AM
    Answerer
  • dduser1984,

Are you using a form?

what control (edit box)?

is the control source a variable? What width?

or a field? What type and width?

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 1:37 PM
  • Hi,

I am using vfp 9,

2 parts of the form are ole controls. If we typed on the right hand side, when the save btn is clicked it should be display on the left hand side. But the problem is ,if we typed 1000 characters, and earlier we have another more data stored in the db, then when the save btn is clicked , on the left hand side, it should load all data including db data + typed charcters 1000, but IT DOESNT DISPLAY ALL. IT ONLY DISPALY 1000 CHARACTERS..

PLEASE GIVE A SOLUTION TO SOLVE THIS..

Thanks in Advance,

Thursday, June 6, 2013 3:12 AM
  • Hi,

I am using vfp 9,

2 parts of the form are ole controls. If we typed on the right hand side, when the save btn is clicked it should be display on the left hand side. But the problem is ,if we typed 1000 characters, and earlier we have another more data stored in the db, then when the save btn is clicked , on the left hand side, it should load all data including db data + typed charcters 1000, but IT DOESNT DISPLAY ALL. IT ONLY DISPALY 1000 CHARACTERS..

Thanks in Advance,

Thursday, June 6, 2013 3:13 AM
  • Hi,

I am using vfp 9,

Thanks in Advance,

Thursday, June 6, 2013 3:13 AM
  • Your description is not very clear to me. But I believe I have understood the jist of your comments. It would appear that you are overwriting the old content (shown on the left) with the new content entered and shown on the right. When what you intend is to Append the new text to the existing text and show the combined text on the left.

An example being:

a) start situation - left control show some text:

"This is the old Text."

Whilst the right control is empty.

b) You now enter new text on the right:

"This is my new text"

During this stage the Left text is as under A)

c) you now click Save and the left text becomes:

"This is my new text"

Whilst the right control shows either the same value or is clear down.

However, what you want is for the left control to contain:

"This is the old Text

This is the new text."

If my assumption is correct, then what you need to do is change the save procedure to take account of the current content with some code like.

m.ltemptxt = tab1.lefttxtfld + CHR(10) + CHR(13) ;
                + thisform.righttextbox.value

replace lefttxtfld with m.ltemptxt in tab1

• Proposed as answer by Benny Gabel Friday, June 7, 2013 6:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Youen Zen Monday, June 17, 2013 6:51 AM
    Thursday, June 6, 2013 6:20 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi EnglishBob2,

Thank you...

Thursday, June 6, 2013 11:43 PM