New Programs

Question

• Will windows 8 come with media player 13 and internet explorer 10? also what the hell is with the metro version of IE not having flash or java?

Monday, September 19, 2011 1:05 PM

Answers

• Metro IE provides a plug-in free browsing experience. You can read more on this blog.

Monday, September 19, 2011 1:09 PM
    Answerer
  • On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 13:05:56 +0000, Isaac Oscar wrote:

Will windows 8 come with media player 13 and internet explorer 10? also what the hell is with the metro version of IE not having flash or java?

No idea about Media player but the DP already has IE10 in it. Microsoft has
    already announced that the Metro version of IE will not support plug-ins
    while the Desktop version will continue to do so.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Binary:  Possessing the ability to have friends of both sexes.

All replies

• Metro IE provides a plug-in free browsing experience. You can read more on this blog.

Answerer
  • On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 13:05:56 +0000, Isaac Oscar wrote:

Will windows 8 come with media player 13 and internet explorer 10? also what the hell is with the metro version of IE not having flash or java?

No idea about Media player but the DP already has IE10 in it. Microsoft has
    already announced that the Metro version of IE will not support plug-ins
    while the Desktop version will continue to do so.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Binary:  Possessing the ability to have friends of both sexes.

• Paul, I have been trying to figure out how to install Flash Player and enable Java Script in the Metro IE and just found this comment - that I can't do that by design.

My problem with that is that I often get an email with links that pull up IE - and in the Preview that's always the Metro IE. So Metro IE comes up with the standard 'must install Flash Player' (or enable Java Script) and when I start Flash Download / Install it goes to the desktop and waits until I end the Metro IE task with Task Manager, then installs Flash. I go back to the email and back to Metro IE and go around and around.

So, OK - I need to change the default IE that Outlook pulls up from the Metro IE to the Desktop IE - but how do I do that? When I go to Default Programs there is only the Desktop IE (at least there is only one IE and it has the standard Icon - not the reversed color Metro IE Icon). Since it is already set as default, but it's really not (since Outlook pulls the Metro IE) I'm missing something.

How do I see the IE things I link to from Outlook email that need either Java or Flash (or both) since Outlook pulls the Metro IE (which doesn't allow plug-ins) and I can't change that?

Thanks, Bob

Sorry - This note is for Paul Seymour.
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:14 PM
  • Hi Aquaholic,

You can set desktop IE as default over Metro IE by following these steps:

1. Launch Metro IE
    2. Slide out the charms bar
    3. Click on Settings
    4. Click on "Default view for links" then select yes on the prompt

Yes I admit, this isn't the very intuitive, but after all it is just a Developer's Preview and things might change in future releases.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:22 PM
  • Hi, thanks for the help - that works great - now email links go the the Desktop browser, not the Metro version.

I do like the Metro IE, especially after I noticed the small desktop Icon that allows navigation directly to the desktop and vice versa (without going through the Start page) - but have you found Bookmarks for it?

I am still getting the JavaScript message (even in the Desktop IE), but I checked and Scripting of Java Applets is set to Enable. Any thoughts? 

Java Script Message (In yellow bar):

<!--StartFragment--><STRONG>Your browser has JavaScript disabled.</STRONG><BR>Some features of this site require JavaScript to work correctly. Please enable JavaScript in your web browser.

btw .. I was not complaining about Developer Preview before - I think this it's great! Like everything else new there is a learning (and discovery) curve. Heck, I worked on mainframes in the 70s with single line editing!

Friday, October 21, 2011 12:00 AM
  • Aquaholic II,

The website might checks to see what browser you use and it doesn't know about Internet Explorer 10. There is option to trick the website that you using Internet Explorer 9 instead.

1. Using Desktop Internet Explorer 10
    2. Go to that website.
    3. Press F12 key.
    4. Click on Browser Mode: IE 10 and select Internet Explorer 9.
    5. Re enter URL address again and it should display website correctly.
    Friday, October 21, 2011 4:04 PM
    Answerer