VS2008 MSDN help library broken links RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently downloaded VS2008 along with latest and greatest version of MSDN library.  The problem is that I've been going through a lot of WPF class references and I'd say about 20% of links I click on take me to a page that indicates the link is invalid.  Has anyone else seen this?  I am curious if something happened in my install (even though everything seemed fine), or if it is just a feature of the MSDN library installation.

-- Dennis
    Saturday, February 9, 2008 7:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Dennis,

There are two different versions of the MSDN Library available for download:  The Microsoft MSDN Express Library and the full Microsoft MSDN Library.  The MSDN Express Library is an abridged version of the full MSDN Library and might not contain all of the content you're looking for.  You can instead download and install the full MSDN Library.  If you did install the MSDN Express Library, note that you should uninstall it before installing the full MSDN Library.  You can find more information here:  http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/msdn/Default.aspx.

Kathleen

Sunday, February 10, 2008 10:24 PM
  •  

Thanks for the information Dennis.  I'll check out this topic and log a bug for the broken link.  If you run into other broken links, you can click the "Send Feedback" link at the bottom of the topic to send us an e-mail, and indicate which topic you were in (and the link you clicked) that caused the Topic Not Found page to appear.

Kathleen

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 8:52 AM
  • Sorry to get back to you so late; I didn't realize you had responded until now!  I tried clicking the link you mention from the See Also section and it opened fine.  I tried with my Help Settings looking at Local content only and looking Online first and then Local. Both times, the topic opened.

--Kathleen

Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Dennis,

There are two different versions of the MSDN Library available for download:  The Microsoft MSDN Express Library and the full Microsoft MSDN Library.  The MSDN Express Library is an abridged version of the full MSDN Library and might not contain all of the content you're looking for.  You can instead download and install the full MSDN Library.  If you did install the MSDN Express Library, note that you should uninstall it before installing the full MSDN Library.  You can find more information here:  http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/msdn/Default.aspx.

Kathleen

Sunday, February 10, 2008 10:24 PM
  • Kathleen,

I took a look at the link you posted.  It says MSDN library for VS express is under 300 MB and full MSDN library is 2GB.  I checked MSDN installation on my PC and it is 1.84GB, so I believe I already have full install.

Today was actually unusually good day to me as I've worked for several hours without hitting a broken link.  And then I found yet another one in a completely different place from anything I've looked at before.

I created WPF application, opened Project Properties --> Settings and clicked a link that explains how to use this feature.
    1) MSDN library came up with a page titled "Settings Page, Project Designer".  Interesting enough the button that synchronizes current page with contents view is disabled.

2) If I scroll to the bottom to "See Also" section.  First 4 links will work, but "Accessing Application Settings" is broken.

URL of the original page: ms-help://MS.VSCC.v90/MS.MSDNQTR.v90.en/dv_vsprojopt/html/cb69bb90-5298-4580-b8e9-775fef8dafcb.htm

If I open properties dialog in a broken link (or one of the first 4 that work), it shows me same URL as above.  I am not sure what the intended behavior is there.

-- Dennis

Monday, February 11, 2008 8:31 AM
  •  

Thanks for the information Dennis.  I'll check out this topic and log a bug for the broken link.  If you run into other broken links, you can click the "Send Feedback" link at the bottom of the topic to send us an e-mail, and indicate which topic you were in (and the link you clicked) that caused the Topic Not Found page to appear.

Kathleen

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 8:52 AM
  • Kathleen, thank you for looking into this.  I guess what I was looking for here is for someone else to confirm if they are seeing broken links (i.e. can you check out the one I reported and see if you are getting the same issue) or my particular installation is bad.  I don't want to go through the process of uninstalling/reinstalling if that's not going to do anything.

I would not be in this forum if it was just one or two broken links.  As I've originally stated, when looking at WPF reference I found an unacceptably large chunk of them.  In frustration I even tried clicking "Send Feedback" but it seemed I had to follow through too many hoops to actually submit a report and I gave up in the middle of the procedure.

Would you be able to verify the link I reported just to confirm that you are seeing the same thing?

-- Dennis
    Monday, February 18, 2008 6:26 PM
  • Sorry to get back to you so late; I didn't realize you had responded until now!  I tried clicking the link you mention from the See Also section and it opened fine.  I tried with my Help Settings looking at Local content only and looking Online first and then Local. Both times, the topic opened.

--Kathleen

Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:42 PM
  •  

can you please how to install the MSDN ? it seems I have only the 300MB library installed, and I am looking forward to install the 2GB complete library soon.

I am using a VS webdeveloper 08 (to learn asp.net) I dont know why but it's unable to determine even the Date thing, may because of the library, I should check if it works when i install the complete library.

Thank you

Thursday, May 29, 2008 5:03 PM