none
Missing Outlook Form Region Controls in Toolbox RRS feed

• Question

• None of the Microsoft Office Outlook * Controls (the olk ones, like Business Card, Category, etc.) are available for adding to the Toolbox in a VSTO Outlook add-in project.  The only ones that are listed are the Body, Recipient and View Controls.  They were not available in the standard Outlook form designer until I did an Office repair, but they are still not available to be added in Visual Studio.  I tried manually browsing to the Microsoft.Office.Outlook.Interop.dll but it won't accept that as a valid control type library.

Any ideas?

Eric Legault
    MVP (Outlook)
    About me...
    Time-saving Outlook Appins
    for as low as $5!

Monday, June 11, 2012 10:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Eric,

Which version of Visual Studio and Office do you run?  The form region designer in Outlook VSTO addin project just performs like Winform designer.  I never see Body, Recipient and View Controls listed in VSTO toolbox.

with regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:42 AM
  • Hi Forrest.  I'm using Visual Studio 2010.  I found an old VM with VS 2008 and the controls were in the Toolbox, but I may have manually added them at one time as they are NOT in the Toolbox by default.  That's why I need to add them! Keep in mind that these are olk* controls that I believe are implemented via the Outlook.exe Type Library.  These are special Outlook controls that are present in standard Outlook forms and are not the same as the Microsoft Forms Controls 2.0 that are typically used in legacy Outlook form design.

Eric Legault
    MVP (Outlook)
    About me...
    for as low as $5!

Thursday, June 14, 2012 4:08 PM
  • Hi Eric,

These controls are activex controls which are available in corresponding Office application. Like this OlkBusinessCardControl, it's available in designing form in Outlook, I've tried this in VS 2010 and VS 2012 RC, all like you said, these olk controls are not in VS toolbox by default, even in context of Outlook formregion.  But the controls in toolbox shows up in certain context, Winform controls show up in VSTO form region designer. 

I don't find anyway to add olk** controls to toolbox. If you think this is not expected, would you please copy the question to connect website? Product team will evaluate carefully.  Please post back url if you go this way.

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx

thanks and regards,

Saturday, June 16, 2012 1:46 PM
  • Do you have feedback to reply above? :)

thanks,

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:37 AM
  • Sorry, got lost amongst my tasks. :-)

I know those controls aren't available by default, but they should be listed when you browse through the COM components to add them to the toolbox - the same way you have to add them to the toolbox in Outlook's form designer.  I'm able to add them to the toolbox in Visual Studio 2008, but I don't have another VM with VS 2010 to handy test further (my laptop has the same problem, but I blame Office install issues for screwing it up).  They MUST be available to add to the toolbox, otherwise how can you use those *.olk controls in a VSTO Form Region at all?  My guess is that on my two PCs (my desktop has Office install issues as well) the Type Library for Outlook 2010's .exe got de-registered somehow (I believe that's the library where the controls come from).  When I have time I'll try to uninstall/reinstall (a repair did nothing) Office and Visual Studio, or find/build a virgin VM with VS and Office 2010 to prove I'm not crazy!  Otherwise I'll report to Connect.

Eric Legault
    MVP (Outlook)
    About me...
    for as low as $5!

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:14 AM
  • Problem explained.  I conveniently forgot something I knew 5 years ago: you HAVE to use the Outlook Form Region Designer to use those olk controls.  They CANNOT be used in the VSTO Form Region Designer.  How I was able to get those controls registered in the VS 2008 Toolbox is beyond me (something I obviously figured out how to do a few years back).  No wonder they throw an error when added to the Windows Form LOL.

Eric Legault
    MVP (Outlook)
    About me...
    for as low as $5!

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 3:13 AM