none
Office add-in - status removed RRS feed

• Question

• I've created an Office add-in for Word, Excel and Powerpoint.

Some of our customers are complaining that after a period of working the add-in doesn't show anymore.

When they go to the overview of the add-ins the state is removed.

After a re-install the add-in keeps telling that it has been removed. What can be the cause of this problem?

Friday, November 15, 2013 9:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

make sure the points below.

What's the target version of your Office add-in?

What's the version of the customers' office which met issue?

How do you "overview of the add-ins the state is removed"? AFAK, we could only set the add-ins available or not below

Have you ever get any error message when you re-install the add-in?

Monday, November 18, 2013 5:36 AM
  • Hi,

the customers who had this error reports that the add-in disappears after a while (tab in the ribbon disappear) and the state changes to removed.

When You want to activate the add-in that doesn't work, the add-in state changes automatically to removed. When you uninstall the add-in and reinstall it again, there is no error message, the state just keep telling removed...

I Googled the web but can't find anything... 

Monday, November 18, 2013 8:01 AM
  • Hello Geert,

If your add-in fires exceptions or causes the host application to crash, the host application (or the end-user) may block the add-in and move it to the Disabled Items list. That is why you don't see the ribbon any longer. To find the list, in Office 2000-2003, go to "Help", then "About". At the bottom of the About dialog, there is the Disabled Items button. Click it to see if the add-in is listed there (if so, select it and click Enable). In the Ribbon UI of Office 2007, you find that list on the Add-ins tab of the Office Menu | [Host App] Options dialog. In the Ribbon UI of Office 2010 and 2013, the Add-ins tab can be found in the File | Options dialog. After you get the Disabled Items dialog, you select the add-in and click Enable.

Saturday, November 23, 2013 7:13 PM
  • This isn't the solution. When I do this, the Add-in becomes active, but the tab in the ribbon doesn't appear.

When I restart Word, this add-in is again disabled.

Monday, November 25, 2013 9:18 AM
  • Hello Geert,

Well, in that case the error comes from the Ribbon UI. You need to turn on the Ribbon XML validation mechanism through the UI of the host application of your add-in. Look for a checkbox named "Show add-in user interface errors" in the settings dialog.

Do you get any UI errors after restarting the host app (with the mentioned above option enabled)?

Monday, November 25, 2013 1:15 PM