none
Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' / No such interface supported

Question

• I have several orchestrations deployed and everything is running pretty fine.

But after a day running fine without problems, I suddenly get some strange errors in the eventlog. Below is an example of this.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: XLANG/s
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 10034
    Date:  23-3-2010
    Time:  7:09:15
    User:  N/A
    Computer: BA34T
    Description:
    Uncaught exception (see the 'inner exception' below) has suspended an instance of service 'FH.CCE.EK.RIS.EK_DB_v0102.ekdbs_BBO_get_pty_com_tra_p_v0102_Service(46ab3d87-67f6-b9bf-8af2-083fe18ae395)'.
    The service instance will remain suspended until administratively resumed or terminated.
    If resumed the instance will continue from its last persisted state and may re-throw the same unexpected exception.
    InstanceId: 625445eb-db48-43e3-acc6-1405f897fa33
    Shape name: New Or Resubmit
    ShapeId: a9cdfafb-d34f-4f32-9345-df8c5f32c3dc
    Exception thrown from: segment 1, progress 3
    Inner exception: Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'Microsoft.BizTalk.Agent.Interop.IBTMessageSpaceEx'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{6C90EC05-4918-11D3-A242-00C04F60A533}' failed due to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)).

Exception type: InvalidCastException
    Source: Microsoft.BizTalk.Interop.Agent
    Target Site: Microsoft.BizTalk.Agent.Interop.IBTMessageBatch GetMessageBatch(System.Guid ByRef)
    The following is a stack trace that identifies the location where the exception occured

at Microsoft.BizTalk.Agent.Interop.IBTMessageSpaceEx.GetMessageBatch(Guid& batchID)
       at Microsoft.BizTalk.XLANGs.BTXEngine.BTXSession.GetBatch(Guid& batchId)
       at Microsoft.BizTalk.XLANGs.BTXEngine.BTXXlangStore.get_Batch()
       at Microsoft.BizTalk.XLANGs.BTXEngine.BTXXlangStore.get_Batch()
       at Microsoft.BizTalk.XLANGs.BTXEngine.BTXXlangStore.ReceiveComplete(Envelope env, Boolean final)
       at Microsoft.XLANGs.Core.Envelope.PrepareForReceive(XlangStore store)
       at Microsoft.XLANGs.Core.PerformPrepareForReceive.PrePersist(Boolean dehydrate, XlangStore store)
       at Microsoft.XLANGs.Core.Service.AddTransactedWork(Transacted t, XlangStore store)
       at Microsoft.XLANGs.Core.ServiceContext.AddTransactedWork(Transacted t, XlangStore store)
       at Microsoft.XLANGs.Core.LongRunningTransaction.AddTransactedWork(Transacted t, XlangStore store)
       at Microsoft.BizTalk.XLANGs.BTXEngine.BTXPortBase.ReceiveMessage(Int32 iOperation, Envelope env, XLANGMessage msg, Correlation[] initCorrelations, Context cxt, Segment s)
       at FH.CCE.EK.RIS.EK_DB_v0102.ekdbs_BBO_get_pty_com_tra_p_v0102_Service.segment1(StopConditions stopOn)
       at Microsoft.XLANGs.Core.SegmentScheduler.RunASegment(Segment s, StopConditions stopCond, Exception& exp)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The strange thing is, this is an activating Receive shape (new or resubmit). So it should start my orchestration. And it has done so without problem for a long period of time.

The scenario is as follows :

1. SQL Adapter receives some data
    2. Data is received via a pipeline with the xml-disassembler in it
    3. The last pipe component is a "Auditing" pipe component that writes some audit data to BAM.
    4. Then the message is pushed into the messagebox
    5. Orchestration bound to receive port should start.

For some obscure reason after everything has been running fine, I get this strange exception.
    After i received this mesage once stuff keeps gioing wrong from that moment on for this specific orchestration. But the messages in the eventlog can vary....

Here are some samples of the same kind of error  but all with a slight variation in it.

Time:  7:09:15
    Description:
    Unexpected exception (see the 'inner exception' below) has occurred while executing an instance of service 'FH.CCE.EK.RIS.EK_DB_v0102.ekdbs_BBO_get_pty_com_tra_p_v0102_Service(46ab3d87-67f6-b9bf-8af2-083fe18ae395)'.
    InstanceId: 04b072a6-2ec0-4e49-b3e6-5515636e3b57
    Shape name: New Or Resubmit
    ShapeId: a9cdfafb-d34f-4f32-9345-df8c5f32c3dc
    Exception thrown from: segment 1, progress 3
    Inner exception: Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'Microsoft.BizTalk.Agent.Interop.IBTMessageSpaceEx'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{6C90EC05-4918-11D3-A242-00C04F60A533}' failed due to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)).

Target Site: Microsoft.BizTalk.Agent.Interop.IBTInstanceState GetInstanceState(System.Guid ByRef, System.Guid ByRef, Boolean)
    The following is a stack trace that identifies the location where the exception occured

at Microsoft.BizTalk.Agent.Interop.IBTMessageSpaceEx.GetInstanceState(Guid& instanceID, Guid& instanceStateID, Boolean fCreateRootState)
       at Microsoft.BizTalk.XLANGs.BTXEngine.BTXXlangStore.GetBTState()
       at Microsoft.BizTalk.XLANGs.BTXEngine.BTXXlangStore.get_State()
       at Microsoft.BizTalk.XLANGs.BTXEngine.BTXXlangStore.ScheduleComplete(Boolean terminate)
       at Microsoft.XLANGs.Core.ServiceContext.ExceptionRaised(Exception e)
       at Microsoft.XLANGs.Core.SegmentScheduler._RunSomeSegments(StopConditions stopOn)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

And another

Time:  7:09:43
    Description:
    Unexpected exception (see the 'inner exception' below) has occurred while executing an instance of service 'FH.CCE.EK.RIS.EK_DB_v0102.ekdbs_BBO_get_pty_com_tra_p_v0102_Service(46ab3d87-67f6-b9bf-8af2-083fe18ae395)'.
    InstanceId: 740a1515-e62b-404e-a380-ec98f5111ebe
    Shape name: Construct Fault
    ShapeId: 4981f690-2754-4e77-bfdf-5bbf55942c95
    Exception thrown from: segment 5, progress 7
    Inner exception: Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'Microsoft.BizTalk.Agent.Interop.IBTInstanceState'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{6C90EC06-4918-11D3-A242-00C04F60A533}' failed due to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)).

Target Site: Void PrepareForActivationComplete(Boolean)

at Microsoft.BizTalk.Agent.Interop.IBTInstanceState.PrepareForActivationComplete(Boolean fBlockOnDeliveryCompletion)
       at Microsoft.BizTalk.XLANGs.BTXEngine.BTXXlangStore.ScheduleComplete(Boolean terminate)
       at Microsoft.XLANGs.Core.ServiceContext.ExceptionRaised(Exception e)
       at Microsoft.XLANGs.Core.SegmentScheduler._RunSomeSegments(StopConditions stopOn)

Anybody got any experience with this...... I suspect these errors are caused by some windows hotfix, cause i am only seeing these errors since 3 weeks. And before that I never saw them. Furthermore my orchestrations all have the same shape (new or resubmit) because they are generated by a Software Factory, it has been like that for over two years now and I have never seen this error before. Only the last month i see this regularly. A restart of the host fixes everything, but i don't want to tell the BizAtlk administrator of the production enviroment to restart the BT server every day or night......

Please help.....

Well0549, Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 10:13 AM

Answers

• I have created a case for this by MS premier support.

It looks like this is a recurring error because they already had a fix that solved this in BT 2006. The exception / Event ID and the places where I see this error all look VERY similar.

I mean this KB article : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927456

The last line really almost exactly describes what's happening on my BT 2006 R2 box......

Typically, this problem occurs when the orchestration contains a Call Orchestration shape or a Start Orchestration shape.

Although it should say.......

Typically, this problem occurs when the orchestration engine reaches a Call Orchestration shape or a Start Orchestration shape.

I will let you know how things go with this issue.

Well0549,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

• Marked as answer by Well0549 Thursday, April 01, 2010 9:33 AM
    Thursday, April 01, 2010 9:32 AM

All replies

• We need to debug into the XLANG instances to investigate the root cause. Please consider opening a support incident to Microsoft Customer Support Service(CSS) for assistance with the debugging scenario. If the problem is confirmed to be some particular Windows patch related, general the case charge will be refunded. You can find the phone number of specific support from below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Andrew_ZhuModerator Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:06 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Well0549 Thursday, April 01, 2010 9:24 AM
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:11 AM
  • I have created a case for this by MS premier support.

It looks like this is a recurring error because they already had a fix that solved this in BT 2006. The exception / Event ID and the places where I see this error all look VERY similar.

I mean this KB article : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927456

The last line really almost exactly describes what's happening on my BT 2006 R2 box......

Typically, this problem occurs when the orchestration contains a Call Orchestration shape or a Start Orchestration shape.

Although it should say.......

Typically, this problem occurs when the orchestration engine reaches a Call Orchestration shape or a Start Orchestration shape.

I will let you know how things go with this issue.

Well0549,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

• Marked as answer by Well0549 Thursday, April 01, 2010 9:33 AM
    Thursday, April 01, 2010 9:32 AM
  • Well I now know i am not alone anymore.

See http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/biztalkgeneral/thread/6055fc93-705f-4289-b488-98da0b8fb5ee#0cdc7c88-2d78-40e1-9e88-b56d6771aab4

And today i got a call from a fellow BizTalker with exactly the same problem. So i decided to blog about this to make this issue a bit more findable in google.

See my blog post here : http://bloggingabout.net/blogs/wellink/archive/2010/09/27/strange-com-exception-in-biztalk.aspx

Well0549, Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread
    Monday, September 27, 2010 10:35 AM