none
Error 175: The specified store provider cannot be found in the configuration, or is not valid

Question

• I just joined a project and installed Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2012 Version 11.0.51106.01 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 on a 64-bit machine.

Another team member is able to build the solution from his machine, but from my machine I get the following error:

Error 175: The specified store provider cannot be found in the configuration, or is not valid

In my .edmx file, all of the code between the <edmx:StorageModels></edmx:StorageModels> tags is marked for the error. The relevant snippet from the top of the file is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <edmx:Edmx Version="2.0" xmlns:edmx="http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2008/10/edmx">
      <!-- EF Runtime content -->
      <edmx:Runtime>
        <!-- SSDL content -->
        <edmx:StorageModels>
        <Schema Namespace="[NAME].Store" Alias="Self" Provider="System.Data.SqlClient" ProviderManifestToken="2008" xmlns:store="http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2007/12/edm/EntityStoreSchemaGenerator" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2009/02/edm/ssdl">

In doing research on similar posts, others have suggested checking the DbProviderFactories in the machine.config file.

*Edit: Added the relevant DbProviderFactories for .Net 4.0

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Config

<system.data>
        <DbProviderFactories>
            <add name="IBM DB2 for i5/OS .NET Provider" invariant="IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries" description=".NET Framework Data Provider for i5/OS" type="IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries.iDB2Factory, IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=9cdb2ebfb1f93a26"/>
            <add name="Microsoft SQL Server Compact Data Provider" invariant="System.Data.SqlServerCe.3.5" description=".NET Framework Data Provider for Microsoft SQL Server Compact" type="System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeProviderFactory, System.Data.SqlServerCe, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91"/><add name="Microsoft SQL Server Compact Data Provider 4.0" invariant="System.Data.SqlServerCe.4.0" description=".NET Framework Data Provider for Microsoft SQL Server Compact" type="System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeProviderFactory, System.Data.SqlServerCe, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91"/></DbProviderFactories>
        <DbProviderFactories/>
    </system.data>

Another guy on the team seems to recall this problem and it being associated with an iSeries configuration or setting in one of the updates to my Sql Server or Visual Studio install.

Has anyone see this before or have an idea for fixing it so I can get a clean build?

• Edited by gpcdon Monday, April 15, 2013 6:19 PM Added DbProviderFactories for .Net 4.0. Removed 2.0/3.5
    Monday, April 15, 2013 6:07 PM

Answers

• Hi gpcdon;

Take a look at the app.config / web.config file on your local machine in the project that you are working on. You should have a section that looks like the following:

<connectionStrings>
      <add name="NameOfConnectionString" ...  providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
    </connectionStrings>

At the end of the add tag you have providerName the one shown above is used for SQL server as you are using. The providers that you are showing are SqlCe and one for IBM db2

Fernando (MCSD)

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, April 15, 2013 9:04 PM

All replies

• Hi gpcdon;

Take a look at the app.config / web.config file on your local machine in the project that you are working on. You should have a section that looks like the following:

<connectionStrings>
      <add name="NameOfConnectionString" ...  providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
    </connectionStrings>

At the end of the add tag you have providerName the one shown above is used for SQL server as you are using. The providers that you are showing are SqlCe and one for IBM db2

Fernando (MCSD)

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, April 15, 2013 9:04 PM
  • Hi Fernando,

I'm too facing the similar problem. After reading your post, i checked my app.config file in my project. It seems to be fine but still i'm facing this error. I'm here attaching images EF1 and EF2 for  your reference. Kindly suggest to remove this error.

Error:

Error 175: The ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SQLite.EF6' is either not registered in the machine or application config file, or could not be loaded. See the inner exception for details.

Code block from .edmx file

<edmx:Edmx Version="3.0" xmlns:edmx="http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2009/11/edmx">
      <!-- EF Runtime content -->
      <edmx:Runtime>
        <!-- SSDL content -->
        <edmx:StorageModels>    
          <Schema Namespace="Temp1Model.Store" Provider="System.Data.SQLite.EF6" ProviderManifestToken="data source=D:\BaseSqliteSchema.DB" Alias="Self" xmlns:store="http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2007/12/edm/EntityStoreSchemaGenerator" xmlns:customannotation="http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2013/11/edm/customannotation" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2009/11/edm/ssdl">

Code block from app.config file

<configuration>
      <configSections>
        <section name="entityFramework" type="System.Data.Entity.Internal.ConfigFile.EntityFrameworkSection, EntityFramework, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" requirePermission="false" />
        <!-- For more information on Entity Framework configuration, visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=237468 -->
      </configSections>
      <entityFramework>
        <defaultConnectionFactory type="System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.SqlConnectionFactory, EntityFramework" />
        <providers>
          <provider invariantName="System.Data.SQLite" type="System.Data.SQLite.EF6.SQLiteProviderServices, System.Data.SQLite.EF6, Version=1.0.99.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=db937bc2d44ff139" />
          <provider invariantName="System.Data.SqlClient" type="System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer" />
          <provider invariantName="System.Data.SQLite.EF6" type="System.Data.SQLite.EF6.SQLiteProviderServices, System.Data.SQLite.EF6" />
        </providers>
      </entityFramework>

<runtime>
        <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
          <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="EntityFramework.MappingAPI" publicKeyToken="7ee2e825d201459e" culture="neutral" />
            <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-6.1.0.9" newVersion="6.1.0.9" />
          </dependentAssembly>
        </assemblyBinding>
      </runtime>
      <system.data>
        <DbProviderFactories>
          <remove invariant="System.Data.SQLite.EF6" />
          <add name="SQLite Data Provider (Entity Framework 6)" invariant="System.Data.SQLite.EF6" description=".NET Framework Data Provider for SQLite (Entity Framework 6)" type="System.Data.SQLite.EF6.SQLiteProviderFactory, System.Data.SQLite.EF6" />
          <remove invariant="System.Data.SQLite" />
          <add name="SQLite Data Provider" invariant="System.Data.SQLite" description=".NET Framework Data Provider for SQLite" type="System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteFactory, System.Data.SQLite" />
        </DbProviderFactories>
      </system.data>
    </configuration>

Friday, May 13, 2016 1:34 PM
  • Hi gpcdon;

Have you installed the SqlLite provider for EF6? If not here is how to get it using the NuGet package manager.

Fernando (MCSD)

Friday, May 13, 2016 1:53 PM
  • Hi Fernando,

SQLite provider is installed in my project and holds reference as well... but as per your suggestion i tried again installing the package using PM console... it says "'System.Data.SQLite.EF6 1.0.101.0' already installed".

But still i'm facing issues in clean build.

Monday, May 16, 2016 2:06 PM
  • Hi PKumar99;

The only other time I have seen this error is when the application was being compiled for a specific platform. For example the provider was for a 64 bit system but only the 32 bit version was loaded and therefore when compiling could not find the 64 bit version. I went to the SqlLite web site, I have never used this product before, note that their are two downloads that handle EF6, one that specifically handles (x86/x64) and the other not sure which platform it is for. If this does not work for you you may want to open a question with SqlLite on this.

Fernando (MCSD)

• Proposed as answer by PKumar99 Monday, May 23, 2016 10:29 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by PKumar99 Monday, May 23, 2016 10:29 AM
    Monday, May 16, 2016 3:02 PM
  • Hi Fernando,

Thank you for the reply. After going through the SQLite web site, i'm here able to do resolve this.

To fix the error, install the below plugins for visual studio according to the version of visual studio.

For VS 2013 - http://system.data.sqlite.org/downloads/1.0.101.0/sqlite-netFx451-setup-bundle-x86-2013-1.0.101.0.exe

Or

For VS 2015 - http://system.data.sqlite.org/downloads/1.0.101.0/sqlite-netFx46-setup-bundle-x86-2015-1.0.101.0.exe

During installation of EXE a dialog pops up. Please tick all the check boxes and click on Next button. The setup will take a few minutes and completes the installation.

Please note: Visual Studio is closed during this installation process.

• Proposed as answer by PKumar99 Monday, May 23, 2016 10:40 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2016 10:40 AM