none
Compatibility model issues with tabular model

Question

• We have vs 2017 and sql server 2012 version 11.0.5058, I got our dba to install tabular model on our 2012 server in a different instance, we have been using the multidimensional successfully.

I created a new tabular model project in vs17, if I select 2012 or even 2014 on compatibility model the tabular model explorer option is grayed out, if I change compatibility model to 2016, tabular model explorer appears and I can create a package, but can't deploy, can't go from 2016 to 2012. Is there anyway round this without upgrading to sql server 2016?

Friday, July 13, 2018 9:04 AM

All replies

• Hi smegged,

Thanks for your question.

>>>Is there anyway round this without upgrading to sql server 2016?
    In this scenario, please create a new SSAS Tabular project with compatibility level "SQL Server 2012 RTM(1100)", Then you will be able to deploy it to you SSAS 2012 Tabular instance.

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by alexander fun Friday, July 13, 2018 11:50 AM
    Friday, July 13, 2018 11:13 AM
  • But if I do that the Tabular Model Explorer option is not available?

Friday, July 13, 2018 11:35 AM
  • Hi smegged,

Thanks for your response.

>>>But if I do that the Tabular Model Explorer option is not available?

Yes, I agree with you, Tabular Model Explorer is not available with SSAS Tabular project compatibility 1100 and 1103. But this will not affect you, you can create the SSAS Tabular project and deploy it to you SSAS 2102 instance. You can also get all the things(connection, table, and so on) from menu in SSDT.

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, July 13, 2018 12:02 PM