none
How to get EF6 Designer Support for SQLite Databases RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to get ‘EF6 Designer from Database’ to work in Visual Studio Community 2015 with a SQLite database.  But I'm not able to see the SQLite Provider or my existing SQLite database when trying to choose a connection.  My VS project properties target .Net Framework 4.5.1 and Any CPU | Prefer 32-bit.  I’m on Windows 8.1 on a 64-bit computer if any of that matters.

I used NuGet Package Manager to install Entity Framework 6.1.3 and SQLite 1.0.101 (which includes System.Data.SQLite, System.Data.SQLite.Core, System.Data.SQLite.EF6, and System.Data.SQLite.Linq) (see screen shots).

Based on something I read, I also installed via direct download (from somewhere) Entity Framework 6.1.3 Tools for Visual Studio 2015 Update 1, though I can't find any reference to the Tools in my VS project and can’t even find the download. 

There's no mention of SQLite in app.config (see below).

Can you help me figure out what I’m missing?  Thanks.  Steve

P.S.  In the unlikely event it matters, you'll see references to SqlCe.  I'm trying to convert from SqlCe to SQLite so both are needed during the conversion.

<o:p></o:p>

Monday, April 25, 2016 4:06 PM

All replies

• You also need to install the SQLite Visual Studio Tools - see my blog post here: http://erikej.blogspot.dk/2014/11/using-sqlite-with-entity-framework-6.html

Please mark as answer, if this was it. Visit my SQL Server Compact blog http://erikej.blogspot.com

Monday, April 25, 2016 4:24 PM
  • Also hope that you are aware of some of the SQLite "features"/limitations:

Code First Migrations are not supported by SQLite - in fact, you cannot alter tables!

And SQLite is basically "typeless" meaning you can store any datatype in any column... https://www.sqlite.org/datatype3.html

Please mark as answer, if this was it. Visit my SQL Server Compact blog http://erikej.blogspot.com

Monday, April 25, 2016 4:36 PM
  • Erik - You have been incredibly patient with me here and elsewhere as I continue to grope my way toward getting a viable setup that meets my needs.

I followed your blog post to the letter, though the SQLite version is now 1.0.101.  During the install, I checked the boxes to enable VS integration and GAC registration, despite the warnings on the SQLite.org download page.

I may be wrong, but it looks like NuGet may have already installed the DDEX provider as shown in the NuGet and project references screen shots in my original post.  The one new thing the manual install provided is a SQLite.Designer.dll, so I manually added that as a reference in my project (see screen shot below) and tried to add a connection with and without that dll. 

I still have no SQLite Data Source or Data Provider when attempting to Add a Data Connection in Server Explorer as shown below. 

Any idea what I'm still doing wrong?  Thanks.  Steve

Control Panel:

Updated References (all SQLite refs except .Designer were add by NuGet):

Add Data Connections:

Monday, April 25, 2016 8:54 PM
  • What VS version do you use?

And did you download the package that matches that version (ie which file did you install?)

Do you use VS Express - then move to Community or higher...

Monday, April 25, 2016 9:10 PM
  • To recap from above, I'm running Visual Studio Community 2015 on Windows 8.1 on a 64-bit Dell laptop.  My VS project properties target .Net Framework 4.5.1 and Any CPU | Prefer 32-bit.  I downloaded and installed 'sqlite-netFx541-setup-bundle-x86-2013-1.0.101.0.exe', after having installed SQLite via NuGet as shown in a screenshot above.  One thing I was uncertain about was downloading the x86 version on my 64-bit computer, but something I read on the SQLite website suggested I use the x86 version because of wanting the app to run on both 32 and 64 bit computers. In addition, the NuGet install shown above says it installed both the x86 and x64 versions.  

I'm about to uninstall and re-install the whole mess, first using the x86 version and then the x64 one, with and without the NuGet install.  The only other thing I can try at this point is to install via NuGet something called EntityFramework.SQLite (www.nuget.org/packages/EntityFramework.SQLite), which a posting elsewhere suggested I need to do even though it is pre-release and will install a boatload of components according to NuGet Package Manager.  I'm going to wait on that.

This is driving me nuts.

Update: I just uninstalled all SQLite components and then reinstalled one at a time: (a) the x86 manually downloaded bundle noted above; (b) the x64 manually downloaded bundle; and (c) the NuGet Package Manager version as shown in the screenshot above. In all cases, all the components were v1.0.101.  After each install, I tried to add a data connection and got what's shown in the screenshot above.  I'm stumped.

• Edited by Cincy Steve Tuesday, April 26, 2016 3:43 AM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2016 2:49 AM