none
What is the best practice, if any, to publish product variations at different price points? RRS feed

• Question

• By this weekend, I am planning to submit to the office store four variations of a product at four price points: EPerfTool© - Free, EPerfTool© - Light, EPerfTool© - Professional, and EPerfTool© - Ultimate. Should I submit them as four different products with four Product IDs or just one product with one product ID. Does the office store have the capability to handle variations of a single product at different price points?  I should point out that there is just one set of bits that handles the four variations. Any thoughts and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Alaa

Friday, February 15, 2013 9:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Alaa,

You should submit separate products with separate product IDs, as the Office Store does not support variations of a product at different price points.

However, I would recommend you submit three apps, each with a trial as follows:

• EPerfTool© - Light with an unlimited trial containing the EPerfTool© - Free functionality (you can use the app description to call out the benefits of purchasing)
    • EPerfTool© - Professional with a limited trial
    • EPerfTool© - Ultimate with a limited trial

Program Manager, Office Store

• Proposed as answer by JesBModerator Friday, February 22, 2013 3:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by ErikOlson Friday, February 22, 2013 6:58 PM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 11:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Alaa,

You should submit separate products with separate product IDs, as the Office Store does not support variations of a product at different price points.

However, I would recommend you submit three apps, each with a trial as follows:

• EPerfTool© - Light with an unlimited trial containing the EPerfTool© - Free functionality (you can use the app description to call out the benefits of purchasing)
    • EPerfTool© - Professional with a limited trial
    • EPerfTool© - Ultimate with a limited trial

Program Manager, Office Store

• Proposed as answer by JesBModerator Friday, February 22, 2013 3:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by ErikOlson Friday, February 22, 2013 6:58 PM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 11:26 AM
  • Hi Alaa,

I'd like to also add that in the scenario you describe, you can consider including info at the end of each of your apps' descriptions to call out that there are different versions of the app available in the Store.

Consider listing the 3 versions with short description of what differentiates them from one another (functionality, price, target customer, etc).

Thanks,
    Erik

Friday, February 22, 2013 6:57 PM
  • Thanks Phil and Erik for your kind and helpful feedback.

FYI, I have just submitted the first App, thePerfTool© - Free, to the store. Once this one is approved, we will be submitting the other three variations within 4-6 weeks. Any idea as to how long the validation process usually takes.

In addition to the formal validation process, I would also appreciate any feedback you folks might have on the submitted App.

Warmest regards

Alaa

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:37 PM
  • Hello Alaa,

Validation times vary depending on the amount of apps currently in the pipeline for approval.

As the platform grows and more apps are being submitted, app validation may take longer.

Best regards,

Jes Brown

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:44 PM
  • Hello Jes,

Are there any time guidelines that you may be able to share with the forum?

Are we talking: days, weeks, months?

Could you kindly share some numbers from past experience: min/max/typical/etc.

Thanks

Alaa

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:17 PM
  • From my experience - 1-5 working days
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 7:56 AM