Need an on premise alternative to Azure Blob storage for development to store BLOB data RRS feed

• Question

• My team is planning to write an application which stores BLOB data on Azure BLOB storage. For this, initially we are planing to search on premise BLOB storage application/tools (NoSQL) and write BLOB store logic at the time of development.  

So, members please suggest me such storage tools\application which is similar or nearly equal features as Azure Blob storage so that at the end we have very less change require to connect it it Azure BLOB. 

Thursday, December 18, 2014 7:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• My team is planning to write an application which stores BLOB data in some database having same features as Azure BLOB storage. Members please suggest me such storage tools\application which is similar or nearly equal features as Azure Blob storage and have very good .net API for integration.  

• Merged by Kristin Xie Friday, December 19, 2014 5:36 AM the duplicate thread
    Thursday, December 18, 2014 7:22 AM
  • Azure SDK comes with a storage emulator which has almost complete fidelity with cloud storage. You can use storage emulator to store blobs locally while doing development.

Thursday, December 18, 2014 8:10 AM
  • @Gaurav,

Thank you for sharing this information.

Could you please share me with links having more info on Azure SDK with storage emulator.

Is SDK freeware? Do I require Azure subscription?

Thursday, December 18, 2014 9:21 AM
  • Ravi,

You may refer the following links:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/hh403989.aspx

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/ff683674.aspx

Azure SDK is free. But in order to use the Blob Storage, you need to have Azure Subscription (Atleast Free-trail Subscription)

Regards,

Manu Rekhar

Sunday, December 21, 2014 4:11 AM
  • @Manu,

Thank you for your answer.

My objective is not to use any Azure Subscription at the time of development. Please suggest me some free options like mongodb etc.

Monday, December 22, 2014 7:37 AM
  • Ravi,

Am not sure about the other options available as a alternative for Azure blob Storage to store blob data.

However, If you are planning to use any feature of Azure in your development or testing, then I suggest you create atleast a trail account of Azure and develop the app with it, as it will be much more compatible when the data or app is deployed in Azure.

Regards,

Manu Rekhar

Thursday, December 25, 2014 7:45 AM
  • as Gaurav mentioned above, this is what the Storage Emulator is for including the Blob Service

see: Using the Azure Storage Emulator for Development and Testing

• Proposed as answer by Manu Rekhar Monday, December 29, 2014 6:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Manu Rekhar Wednesday, December 31, 2014 8:34 AM
    Saturday, December 27, 2014 3:13 AM