Problem with PC Refresh. No Changes were made.

Question

• The Backstory: I added a new user account to see how the setup for a local user differed from a windows live ID user, ( My profile is the ID account, while the "dummy" account I made was a local one) After I created it, I deleted it. I then went back to my user account and all of my metro apps now open the store. I was not alarmed, because I have read several times on the forum that doing a PC refresh fixes the issue. So I initiated a PC refresh.

The problem: When I get blue screen (The one after the PC reboots and says "preparing to refresh you PC) I click on "PC Refresh" and then "next". Shortly after, I receive "Problem with PC Refresh. No Changes were made." It then sends me back to the option screen.

I have the usb with the installation files plugged in. I am running Windows Developer Preview x64 without dev tools. Windows 8 is installed on a 70 GB VHD partition. Any ideas as to why PC refresh is not working?

Monday, October 10, 2011 8:29 PM

Answers

• There must be a setting  that is preventing the Refresh your PC from completing. It may be a driver or hardware.
    You can also try a system restore to before you added the local user to see if that would help.
    You can type in System Restore and follow the steps or you can type in System, then go to System Protection tab, click on System Restore.

You only other option would be to try and Reset your PC and start over. However, you will need to backup your system before starting this option if you want to restore data. You will have to reinstall applications from original media.
    This option will permanently remove your personal files and apps for you PC and restore all settings to their defaults. This option is equivalent to returning a PC back to the factory defaults.

Let us know if this helps.  

Marilyn
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:44 PM

All replies

• try a CD, I had this problem with USB aswell.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Monday, October 10, 2011 10:04 PM
  • Nope. Did not work. 
    Monday, October 10, 2011 11:31 PM
  • There must be a setting  that is preventing the Refresh your PC from completing. It may be a driver or hardware.
    You can also try a system restore to before you added the local user to see if that would help.
    You can type in System Restore and follow the steps or you can type in System, then go to System Protection tab, click on System Restore.

You only other option would be to try and Reset your PC and start over. However, you will need to backup your system before starting this option if you want to restore data. You will have to reinstall applications from original media.
    This option will permanently remove your personal files and apps for you PC and restore all settings to their defaults. This option is equivalent to returning a PC back to the factory defaults.

Let us know if this helps.  

Marilyn
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:44 PM