Page Fault ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I need to run several win32 real time applications simultaneous on windows 64 bit

Each application has the size of 4MB.

Due to the applications are Real time app,

I want to be sure, that they all will run from the RAM , and no Page Fault will occur.

1. How much applications can I run simultaneous  (without haveing a page fault) ?

Is it the RAM size (physical memory) is the limit ?

2. General Q:

Page fault will occur,

when the operating system will not find the correct page from the RAM, and will bring it from the Disk.

But will the OS performs replacement pages to the disk, even if there is still space available in the physical memory ?

Thanks

Amit

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 10:00 AM

All replies

• http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vcgeneral/thread/50349877-7c9c-4e19-9045-48a00dc3860d
    PHIJO MP
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 2:33 PM
  • http://www.go4answers.com/Example/page-fault-140742.aspx
    PHIJO MP
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 2:34 PM
  • Well the thing to do is to insure that you have as much memory as possible and that you have as little going on, on the system as possible.

The system should be able to handle pagefaults well. the task manager will tell you how many page faults you have. You should theoretically make a graph of the number of page faults. Remember there are hard and soft faults. A soft fault is where the page is in memory but it is not in your working set. This is not too 'expensive'. The other fault ia hard fault. The system has to page out to pagefile.sys to page the page in your working set.

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 2:24 AM
  • You have been busy with that question. Because it pages, technically Windows is not a realtime operating system. But, depending on the response times that you require it may be used.

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 2:56 AM