none
Adding a SQL Server Database Instance to an existing SQL Server Cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I already have a SQL Server Cluster up and running, but I want to add another Database Instance to the cluster.

How can I do that?

Thanks in advance

Saturday, August 19, 2017 2:32 PM

Answers

• Not a node. You can create multiple database instances for different uses. For example, you already have the default instance which is "MSSQLServer", and you want to add another one for Lync Server for example, and name it "LyncInstance".

So the new instance would be standalone or a cluster, i believe it would be cluster if so then process would be same as you did for old instance. All you need to do is get storage team to allocate new set of drives which would be used by new cluster instance as you cannot use the old one.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Sunday, August 20, 2017 9:37 AM

All replies

• what you want add node in cluster ?  not clear about add instance to existing sql server.

Mssql installation on Centos

Saturday, August 19, 2017 2:51 PM
  • Not a node. You can create multiple database instances for different uses. For example, you already have the default instance which is "MSSQLServer", and you want to add another one for Lync Server for example, and name it "LyncInstance".

Saturday, August 19, 2017 3:07 PM
  • ok.use  Different storage and set up active active cluster.

Mssql installation on Centos

Saturday, August 19, 2017 10:29 PM

So the new instance would be standalone or a cluster, i believe it would be cluster if so then process would be same as you did for old instance. All you need to do is get storage team to allocate new set of drives which would be used by new cluster instance as you cannot use the old one.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Sunday, August 20, 2017 9:37 AM