Can in-app purchases result in downloading new content from the store? RRS feed

• Question

• If I submit an application to the store whose code will never change, but I want to offer additional content for app through in-app purchases, when the user purchases those additional features can my app download that content on-demand from some server in the cloud? For example, selling extra graphic content like frames badges etc.

I want to do this because:

•  i want to keep my application version same and doesn't change that but i want provide or add new graphics content available for download from store , to the  user
      • on purchase app by the user, i may keep adding new content for the same app available for purchase ,the content is not in app package
      • I may add new content that just isn't available day 1 and, again, don't want to have to repackage my app and force version bumps for ppl.
      • And where can i host the content.

Just want to make sure downloading the content doesn't violate some store certification.

Monday, November 5, 2012 10:14 AM

All replies

• You can use in-app purchases to control downloading content from your own server outside of the store. See Verifying purchases using receipts for documentation explaining how to confirm the in-app purchase to tie it to external downloadable content.

You would need to serve your downloadable content from an external server on the cloud, not from the store itself. The store's package does not change with in-app purchases. In-app purchases only enable or disable which parts of the package are used.

--Rob

Monday, November 5, 2012 9:42 PM