Cosmos DB Pricing RRS feed

• Question

• User-1664597257 posted

I am looking into Cosmos DB pricing and I cannot make any sense of it.  As far as I understand Document DB was considered a cheaper option to Azure SQL DB for the similar amount of usage and storage.

Is it the case with Cosmos DB as well? Does anyone has any experience with Cosmos DB to share.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 3:40 PM

Answers

• User-1664597257 posted

Bulk of our apps and services are already on Azure so will stick with it. Besides Cosmos DB is packed with features, will be suitable for the application and I am looking forward to learn it. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 13, 2017 8:34 PM

All replies

• User-718146471 posted

You might do yourself a solid by contacting their sales department; you are asking a question that sales for their product should be able to answer. You are welcome to wait for an answer here, however it is an answer that may be in the form of a link to their site.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 5:15 PM
  • User-1664597257 posted

Thank you bbcompent1.

I had a chat with their representative  and I was none the wiser, then I decided to post the question here in the forums. I did some more reading afterwards and used their calculator. Everything revolves around their measuring unit - which is request unit RU (1KB of data) measured per second or per minute.

You pay for amount of traffic (RU/sec) that you subscribe to regardless if you use it or not. One RU equates roughly to making a single request to retrieve id for example. More complex requests will cost more RU units. There is a charge for storage as well. Because I have no projection of either storage or traffic it is impossible to tell.

I have decided to architect my application in a way to minimise the load with caching and at least get some idea what the cost may be.

I will still use Cosmos DB for data store.

Hopefully this will help others looking into Cosmos DB

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 6:26 PM
  • User-718146471 posted

I think you might want to look at Amazon Web Services, they have a variety of Cloud plans that may fit what you are looking for. They even provide an easy to use Calculator to determine what your monthly charges may be: https://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 6:33 PM
  • User-1664597257 posted

Bulk of our apps and services are already on Azure so will stick with it. Besides Cosmos DB is packed with features, will be suitable for the application and I am looking forward to learn it. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 13, 2017 8:34 PM