How to start explorer.exe in shell mode RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Guys,

Is there anyway that I can start explorer.exe in shell mode every time i try to run it from TaskManager->Run->explorer.

I am asking this question bcos I have an application which detects the presence and removal of SD card. BUt it works only when I have the explorer shell on (through Winlogon registry key). Hence when I start my XP E image with cmd.exe as the entry in Winlogon, the application cannot detect the insertion/removal of the SD Card.

It only detects it if explorer shell launches.

Thanks once again....

-AALIM

Monday, March 29, 2010 5:14 PM

All replies

• Simple answer is NO; Actually the shell setting value is in located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon , so you can change it to explorer.exe, and longon again to see if explorer shell is launched, which likely won't work because explorer depends on a lot of other components, which must be in the runtime image.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 10:17 PM
  • To start and run the Explorer (and return the desktop and other GUI components in Windows) again, press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager. Then click on File -> New Task (Run…). Type explorer.exe and hit Enter to restart Explorer.

Your Desktop, Start Bar & other GUI components will come back.

Thanks

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:57 AM