Sorting issue on the Preview Selected Table screen RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello,

On the Preview Selected Table screen on the Table Import Wizard, when I select one of the sort options on the drop-down list, I get a "Failed to retrieve data" message.

The reason displayed for the error varies, depending on the data type that is selected. Is there a work around for this?

I also get the same trype of error message when I try to create a filter for any date column.

I'm curious to know why the filter option does not work for columns that have dates in them. For example, if i only wanted to imports rows that have a date in a particular month, I would only select the options for that month, but an error is generated.

I could be wrong, but it seems like the date filter thinks columns with dates are really text fields or something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Tracy

Friday, October 15, 2010 2:28 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Can someone try to reproduce this error and let me know what happens?
    I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if this is a bug.

Thank you
    Tracy

Thursday, November 18, 2010 3:12 AM
  • I've experienced similar symptoms on the preview screen previewing flat files -- if I try to sort or filter any column, the PowerPivot window just freezes and I have to kill the Excel process.  I'm only able to sort and filter once I've fully loaded the table.
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 9:53 PM
  • Below is the error message pasted from the dialog box.

At the top of the dialog box is the message
    Failed to retrieve data from Orders. Reason: Data type mismatch in criteria expression.

I was trying to create a filter on a date field on the Preview selected table screen on the table import wizard dialog box.

Hopefully, this will be fixed because not being able to filter on date fields prevents me from really being able to use powerpivot.

Thank you
    Tracy

============================
    Error Message:

Data type mismatch in criteria expression.
    ----------------------------
    Failed to retrieve data from Orders. Reason: Data type mismatch in criteria expression.

Call Stack:

at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextErrorHandling(OleDbHResult hr)
       at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextForSingleResult(tagDBPARAMS dbParams, Object& executeResult)
       at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandText(Object& executeResult)
       at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommand(CommandBehavior behavior, Object& executeResult)
       at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteReaderInternal(CommandBehavior behavior, String method)
       at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
       at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
       at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.Storage.GetReaderHelperWithCancelSupport.GetReader(RelationalDataSourceConnection dataSourceConnection, String tableName, String commandText)
    ----------------------------
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.Storage.GetReaderHelperWithCancelSupport.GetReader(RelationalDataSourceConnection dataSourceConnection, String tableName, String commandText)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.Storage.RelationalTableDataView.LoadData()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.Storage.RelationalTableDataView.Refresh()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.Storage.ColumnFilterCollection.Add(ColumnFilter item)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.Controls.TableWidgetHeaderCell.set_ColumnFilter(ColumnFilter value)

Friday, December 3, 2010 10:32 PM
  • Hi John,

I do not have a solution to either of our problems, but I am hoping now that I have posted the entire error message, that it will be sent to the development team to look into and fix.

Friday, December 3, 2010 10:34 PM
  • Tracy,

Is this still an issue?

Thank you!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Sunday, November 3, 2013 11:44 PM