Pixelation when drop shadow is used. RRS feed

Answers

• I'd guess that if a feature you want to exist in ED and presently does not exist in ED then that feature probably qualifies as a Feature Request for incorporation in ED development.

In that case connect (http://connect.microsoft.com/) is probably the best place to log the enhancement request.

• Marked as answer by GearWorld Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:53 AM
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:59 PM

All replies

• 800% zoom dude.

It looks as if the drop shadow algorithm is not truly a vector based one and sending stuff out as bitmap hence the pixelation?
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 12:29 AM
  • The Drop Shadow is a Live Effect, which in turn is a raster effect not a vector effect. Of course anything zoomed in at at a large resolution is going to look pixilated.
    Annie
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 3:14 AM
  • So it is normal ?
    Of course if I turn off the drop shadow everything is back to normal but it's just too hard to work things out when Drop shadows are on
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 7:35 PM
  • Yep, 'fraid so.  Bitmaps will always pixelate and that will show in high zoom levels.   But! (and that is a wholly relativistic B-U-T) you can use it to work in your favour.

If you are working to a finished image size and resolution well pumping up the resolution in ED seems to work.  For example, were the finished image to be a 6" by 4" at 300 ppi try working on a canvas at 12" by 8" at 300 ppi.  Some pixelation is lost (some might speculate replaced) by exporting to 50% of the source.

In other cases it really is better to work at 100% (in this example a 6" by 4" canvas) as exporting at 100% shows you what the final result is expected to be.

Exporting at 50% or 25% really can cover a multitude of stuff.

One of EDs ancestors (E3) did not have drop shadow but it did have soft-edge and I think it was wholly vector based (I may be wrong though - can't check it out at the mo').  Drawback: different workflow.

As an experiment try some other image editing or image viewing application and zoom in on any (all?) bitmaps at 800% zoom.  I am sure most if not all will show some signs of pixelation, artefacting, ...
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 9:39 PM
  • Then my best guess is to make sure we can turn off multiple objects effects as for now it's impossible.  I have to turn effects off one by one and if I have to work out many objects by zooming in closely which is prety hard with all those pixels I would become insane before time comes.

So making sure that if we select all our objects, being able to turn off all the effects in one shot would be the best idea.
    with this I could live with very easily.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:32 PM
  • Try grouping objects first then adding live effect.

Adding live effects to grouped objects was a feature request some time ago.

I can't check at the mo' but it may/may not work (live effects on a group of objects that is)
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:13 PM
  • Each object have different effects.  It doesn't work.
    It needs to be implemented as being able to turn off effects on a selection of objects that have different effects.

I'm not talking about grouping objects. I'm talking about a selection of objects instead of selecting them one by one and then turning off each effect of the object.  Just selecting all the objects in the artboard and having an EYE that we can turn effects off for all the selected objects regardless of which effects each objects have.

A global TURN OFF ALL EFFECTS of the artboard kind of...
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 7:57 PM
  • So ?

Any such thing or any possible workaround ?  Working on a huge design isn't very easy
    Need advises on this.  Thank you

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:40 PM
  • I'd guess that if a feature you want to exist in ED and presently does not exist in ED then that feature probably qualifies as a Feature Request for incorporation in ED development.

In that case connect (http://connect.microsoft.com/) is probably the best place to log the enhancement request.

• Marked as answer by GearWorld Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:53 AM
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:59 PM
  • Oh ok, so there's really no options possible. I'm going to connect.
    Thank you

Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:53 AM