RDS4 Kinect Service does not build with Kinect for Windows SDK 1.6 - Fix Available

General discussion

• The Kinect for Windows 1.6 Runtime is 100% compatible with RDS4.  This fix is only needed if you wish to compile and use your own version of the service.

If you see build errors like this after installing Kinect for Windows 1.6 you can use this fix:

Build FAILED. "C:\Users\<user>\Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 4\samples\Sensors\Kinect\Kinect\Kinect.csproj" (default target) (1) -> (CoreCompile target) -> Kinect.cs(698,26): error CS0618: Warning as Error: 'Microsoft.Kinect.KinectSensor.MapDepthToColorImagePoint(Microsoft.Kinect.DepthImageFormat, int, int, short, Microsoft.Kinect.ColorImageFormat)' is obsolete: 'This method is replaced by Microsoft.Kinect.CoordinateMapper.MapDepthPointToColorPoint'

Remember that if you do build the service, you are building the "User" version of the service (has "(User)" in the name) and any manifests will also need to use the User version of this service and any service that partners with it will also need to be the User version of those services.  User versions of the sample manifests are provided in the samples/config directory (ones with ".user" in the name).

The fixed Kinect.cs file can be downloaded from here: http://mrdssamples.codeplex.com/releases/view/97376

1. Create a backup of the old "samples/sensors/Kinect/Kinect/kinect.cs" file (rename to kinect.cs.old)
    2. Copy the new kinect.cs into your "samples/sensors/Kinect/Kinect" folder
    3. run "msbuild" from the "samples" directory

Now you should be able to load and use the "(User) Kinect" service.

-Gershon

Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:05 AM
    Owner

All replies

• I loaded this fix and I was able to then run 1.6 after setting the Eddie command file to the user version. Version 1.0 ran at about 50% CPU usage. 1.6 ran at 80% CPU usage. The laptop is an i5 with 6 gb of ram. Question Is there any way to reduce CPU use of 1.6? R jones
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 2:35 AM
  • In case anyone wanders by when following the Kinect Services for RDS instructions PDF with RDS 4 after replacing the Kinect.cs and rebuilding all samples run this command to start up DssHost (start DSS Command Prompt as administrator).

bin\DssHost.exe /p:50000 /t:50001 /m:"samples\Config\Kinect.user.manifest.xml"

Saturday, February 02, 2013 4:24 AM
  • Shame I didn't find this earlier, you should really publicise this on the RDS4 homepage and download area. I guess most people will miss it. Anyway for what it is worth here is my blog article about how to do the same yourself (when I didn't know the patch already existed):

http://codechief.wordpress.com/2013/04/27/fixing-robotics-developer-studio-4-to-run-with-kinect-sdk-v1-7/

I've also found and fixed some other issues for which I'll make a follow-up post soon...

Key Artefacts

Monday, April 29, 2013 7:46 PM
  • In case anyone wanders by when following the Kinect Services for RDS instructions PDF with RDS 4 after replacing the Kinect.cs and rebuilding all samples run this command to start up DssHost (start DSS Command Prompt as administrator). 
    Wednesday, December 07, 2016 10:15 AM