none
Hidden styles unhide themselves in the Styles pane RRS feed

• Question

• I have the options for the Styles pane set to show only Recommended styles. On the Recommend tab of the Manage Styles dialog, I have set various styles to Always Hidden so they don't appear in the Styles pane. After I update all fields in the document, however, the following styles reappear in the Styles pane and are no longer set to Always Hidden:

• TOC 1
    • TOC 2
    • TOC 6
    • Hyperlink
    • Table of Figures

I can set them to Always Hidden again, but they keep reappearing after I update all fields. Is there a way to keep these styles set to Always Hidden so they don't appear in the Styles pane?

Thanks very much!

• Edited by Nicole_42 Friday, March 21, 2014 1:11 PM typo
    Friday, March 21, 2014 1:10 PM

Answers

• What you describe can easily be reproduced: Some of the built-in styles always show up again, even if you set them to be hidden. For example, the TOC styles resurface after you update the table of contents.

If you are working with macros, you can always include code that hides the styles again, after updating the TOC.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Sunday, March 23, 2014 7:04 PM
  • Hi Nicole,

This is a build-in feature. If you want to Word to support always hiding the styles even after updating the fields, I suggest you submitting the feedback via Submit Feedback - Office.com.
    In addition, there is no event such like field update. But as Stefan said, you can still hide the styles by executing code below manually:

Sub HideStyle()
    Dim aDocument As Document
    Set aDocument = ActiveDocument
    aDocument.Styles("TOC 2").Visibility = True
    End Sub

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, March 24, 2014 12:05 PM

All replies

• What you describe can easily be reproduced: Some of the built-in styles always show up again, even if you set them to be hidden. For example, the TOC styles resurface after you update the table of contents.

If you are working with macros, you can always include code that hides the styles again, after updating the TOC.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Sunday, March 23, 2014 7:04 PM
  • Hi Nicole,

This is a build-in feature. If you want to Word to support always hiding the styles even after updating the fields, I suggest you submitting the feedback via Submit Feedback - Office.com.
    In addition, there is no event such like field update. But as Stefan said, you can still hide the styles by executing code below manually:

Sub HideStyle()
    Dim aDocument As Document
    Set aDocument = ActiveDocument
    aDocument.Styles("TOC 2").Visibility = True
    End Sub

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, March 24, 2014 12:05 PM